Lightened Flywheels

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Lamaddict

I've just read somewhere recently that lightened flywheels don't make much difference in general performance on a Lambretta tuned engine, any scientific/ engineering views on this?
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

some know but don't say; when some say but don't know,
C’est la vie
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Pick up will be quicker with a lightened flywheel but tickover will be less even.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Elite-225
Main scooter: GP 225

something about inertia + weight = momentum .. but a too heavy a flywheel will over stress the crank & vice versa
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

^... stress on crank is an important factor to remember. When availability of the light AF Ducati flywheels dried up and only the heavy SIL flywheels were available, the number of cranks needing pins welded to stop them twisting went up dramatically. Even when machined to make them lighter, the SIL flywheels still put a lot of stress on the crank assembly. Remember that welding crank pins is a 'bodge' that is often necessary on high cc and high power motors, required as the narrow webs of a Lambretta crank do not provide enough mating surface area for the interference press fit to stop some cranks from twisting. Lighten the flywheel and you seriously lessen the chance of twisting an unwelded crank.

Performance gain.... on pick up, yes. Top end... I doubt it.

Adam
jonny snatchsniffer

its not just about weight either, the circumference also plays a part, so 2 kg closer to the center will spin up faster
soullad
Dealer

Yep, and if you are getting the flywheel machined, I'd also have the boss welded too, to help prevent it shearing.
CutdownSpence
Main scooter: 1966 Silver Special

Muppet wrote:some know but don't say; when some say but don't know,
Lol you make me die. :lol: :lol:
One Of England's Finest Salad Dodger's.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information