Crank fouling oil seal

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
john.t5

Replaced drive side seal for a mate and I can't get the b@5t@rd crank in without fouling the seal, on 2nd seal as it f@@ked the first one and the b@5t@rd crank just will not go in corectly. I've had the crank in the freezer, oil and grease over everything, I've the retaining plate out and it's barely possible to get the crank through the seal even out of the engine. What the good f@@k???

They are MB seals and it appears to be a Mec crank.
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

I use the MB viton seals all the time and they are tight initially but as long as you lube well and pull the crank through whilst turning they open up fine. Has the crank seal shoulder got a good chamfer on the edge? Perhaps you could try warming the seal with a hairdrier just before fitting the crank.
john.t5

No is the straight answer the edge on the crank seal shoulder is as sharp as a sharp thing, no taper on it at all! Need another seal now too, would it be foolish to try to soften the sharp edge with a dremel? I've used mb seals on other engines and have never had this problem.
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Carefully file and emery polish a chamfer unless you have access to a lathe. Too much chance of slipping with a dremel.
john.t5

Thanks mate, appreciate the advice :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information