Shwalbe tyre direction

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
MAB

Can anyone tell me regarding the direction arrow on them I have just had one fitted on my front rim at a local bike dealer and on fitting the wheel I noticed the arrow is the opposite to the rear one I spoke to the bike shop and the arrow is only really for the drive wheel (back) but looking at other scoots with the same tyres this doesn't seem to be allways the case has anyone any idea's whats the correct way.?

Cheers
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

as far as i understand if a tyre has a direction arrow it should only be used in that direction , if it dosnt have arrows it can be used in any direction. its usually down to the pattern grip and water drainage design.
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
MAB

That's what I thought thank's for the reply looks like a trip back to get it changed.

Thanks again
warts
Main scooter: honda

This what I was told many years ago, when I worked at Dunlop (not making tyres)
The tread rubber is laid on the carcass and the join is scarfed diagonally across the soon to be tyre.
In the hot mould the rubber flows, joins up, sticks together and vulcanises, making a tyre.
The area of join is seen as a potential weak spot, so it is arranged that the max force the tyre will see presses the join together, rather than the opposite.
So for rears you fit arrow as per normal rotation (to deal with the excess power, wheelies and burnouts).
Fronts are opposite, because the most force it will see is from braking (stoppies and the like) which will be in the contrary direction.
So according to what I was told, you're ok.
Modern rubber doesn't really need a tread unless its p1551ing down. The rubber alone will cope with more water than I dare ride fast in. Hence the wavy line on lots of "modern" tyres - too make us feel better.
Hope this helps.
But yup, lots of water needs channelling out.
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

ive done a bit of google searching and found that some motorcycle tyres do run with the front tyre arrow facing rearwards , but most searches say this,

Directional tyres usually have a chevron or arrow pattern in the tread and are designed to work in only one direction of rotation.

Directional tyres disperse water that builds up in front of the tyre more effectively, reduce road noise, and improve directional stability.

They must rotate in the right direction and this will be clearly marked on the sidewall of the tyre.

If a directional tyre is fitted the wrong way round, the tyre won't be dangerous, but you won't gain any of the benefits of it's design
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
MAB

Thanks for the replies guys so it does sound like I might be ok with the tyre arrow going the opposite way ,the bike machanic of MANY year's was 100% sure this was the correct way for the front and with me not knowing any better I didn't argue although I thought it strange, o well if I keep the front off the ground most of the time it wont matter :D

Cheers
RICSPEED

got a few tyres here that have two arrows in opposite directions one front and one rear .. so id say its ok
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
carbon lammy

It's an mot failure if tyre is not fitted as per side wall instructions,so if its got an arrow for direction it's got to be fitted as per arrow doesn't matter if its a front or rear.
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

I'd like to know which schwalbe tyre we're talking about???

eg if it's a weatherman Id say he's wrong!
Donnie.
Darrell Taylor
Dealer
Main scooter: LAMBRETTA

what would an insurance company say?
id fit it as indicated by the arrow unless instructed otherwise from the tyre manufacturer/wholesaler/retailer
as others say sure it be ok ive ran fronts on rear and flicked em over on race bikes/scoots in the past as the right side wore down but were tricks done as a youth on a tight race budget
feel free to use this link to contact me on facebook and like it(if u like it)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taylor-T ... 8819767924
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information