BGM stator problems

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Noplastic
Main scooter: Vespa PX221 disc

Hello everyone!

I replaced my indian GP200 Sil stator with a BGM stator (this one: http://www.riminilambrettacentre.com/Ar ... b83578a40d ) and the result is that now there's no spark at all! Before with the indian was working hit and miss but this wont start. This is the type of regulator that was fitted in my Lambretta http://www.lambretta-teile.de/Regulator ... V-80W-mini ... what could be the reason of this problem?? Did anyone experienced the same? Any suggestions?
Noplastic

If the regulator was working with the previous stator, it should be working also with the new BGM stator... according to the description is a 12v regulator... the flywheel is the same indan flywheel so i cant understand why the bgm stator doesnt work!!
faf
Main scooter: GP 230 Mugello

could be a problem with the pick up position! compare the 2 stators and note the position of the pick ups (especially the height) If the pick up doesn't align properly with the flywheel magnets you wont get a spark!
coaster

You are confusing yourself , it's the CDI unit for the spark, the regulator has nothing to do with your spark, it's just for the lights. Check all your connections, the Red, White and Green wires from the stator should all be plugged into the correct colour coded positions on the CDI. Note that there is a second green wire already in the CDI which goes into the main loom. This is the wire to the ignition cutout and it would be a good idea to remove it and see if it will then start as faults in the ignition switch are VERY common and disconnecting this wire should be among the first checks to do with an ignition problem. If it does start and run ok then you will obviously need to stop it by stalling it in gear.
Noplastic

faf wrote:could be a problem with the pick up position! compare the 2 stators and note the position of the pick ups (especially the height) If the pick up doesn't align properly with the flywheel magnets you wont get a spark!

Hi i'm at work now and i don't have a picture of the 2 stators but i'm sure there's some difference in the pick up postion now that you're making me think ... :? how can i change the pick up position and its height? Can i put a washer underneath or..there´s some other advice? Thanks
coaster

Noplastic wrote:
faf wrote:could be a problem with the pick up position! compare the 2 stators and note the position of the pick ups (especially the height) If the pick up doesn't align properly with the flywheel magnets you wont get a spark!

Hi i'm at work now and i don't have a picture of the 2 stators but i'm sure there's some difference in the pick up postion now that you're making me think ... :? how can i change the pick up position and its height? Can i put a washer underneath or..there´s some other advice? Thanks
As far as I'm aware, the BGM works fine with Indian flywheels, it's the AF flywheel that has height issues. Check your connections and check what resistance reading you get between each stator wire and earth.
faf

My advice was based on the assumption that all basic checks,connections resistance values etc had already checked out! sorry! Best you follow coasters advice before playing with the pick up! :)
Noplastic

faf wrote:My advice was based on the assumption that all basic checks,connections resistance values etc had already checked out! sorry! Best you follow coasters advice before playing with the pick up! :)

Here are the pics (sorry for the poor quality, taken in the dark) in the first is the indian stator, you can see the pick up position is slightly higher and on the right side http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/585/1tda.jpg/ The bgm stator pick up position instead (pic 2) the pick up is perfectly centered and there's no space in between the metal shim layers under it. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69/b1uk.jpg/ could that be the real problem? And how can i fix that?

In this photo it's shown how the cable are connected. The 4 cables coming from the stator are attached to other 4 cables coming from the handlebar (white with white red with brown green with green and yellow with yellow) http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/ohfe.jpg/
faf

I would refit your old stator and see if it starts,if it does then you know the problem is with the BGM!

If this is the case,you should check the resistance on each wire from the bgm stator to make sure they are correct (see stickys manual on how to do this)

If this is all ok then look at the pick up gap and height.

Its difficult to tell from your pics,try measuring the height of each from a flat surface with a ruler!
Dryballs

Wouldn't it be easier to check the bgm stator first????

Get a multimeter and set it on resistance scale. Check resistance across red and white- should be about 100-110
Then check green and white - should be about 500 ohm

If you get these readings then tge problem is elsewhere
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information