electrical fault

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
sledge
Main scooter: serveta 150 special

my serveta 150 special still running on motoplat 6volt electrics has just developed the following fault.
engine runs fine but ive lost the use of indicators,main and dip beam and brake light.
by isolating various bits ive established that the pilot light and tail light work until you hit the light switch or brake switch then they also go out,but the brake light comes on eventually but slowly and without much power,the horn tries to work but cant quite make it,fire up the motor and there is no noticable differance,similarly bypassing the battery (which is new) and shoving 6 volts up it direct from the mains makes no differance.
I cant find any obviosly damaged wires or earth connections and am begining to suspect the stator or regulator.
anybody got any advice please
Sledge
firekdp

I know you said the battery was new, but your problems show the symptoms of it being flat. Connect a voltmeter across the battery terminals and measure it's unloaded voltage, then switch on ignition, depress brake pedal and again note the voltage.
sledge

yep agreed it was flat ( me leaving it switched on didnt help doh!) but the battery has been re-charged and subsequent checks have been with the scooter connected direct to a 6volt mains supply, i will run a check tomorrow as you suggest , when you are only playing with 6 volts a little loss can make a big differance I guess.
thanks for the input
sledge

just run a quick check on the system,would you believe the battery charger terminals are on the wrong way around on the charger im using,I just hope I havent done any lasting damage to the system
sledge

Situation update,
To anyone who is interested,Im fast loosing interest & the will to live myself.
after much testing ,the stator side is ok but the motoplat regulator box is "nagered", Im scouring the world for a replacment without much luck at the moment (system uses all motoplat, 6 volt points battery and indicators).
Im still waiting for my "friendly local" garage to come up with a replacment battery,in the mean time ive scrounged a battery that's putting out 4 volts max(but better than nothing).
meantime Im going nowhere fast (no change there then)
Sledge
sledge

have i been missing a trick here,if the stator is still ok ,but the 6volt reg box is "us"what about the old trick of sticking a 12 volt reg box in and keeping the points system, threby getting 12 volt electrics,some of the Indian boxes on e bay look a bit "iffy" but beedspeed do one for 26 quid, would it work do you think ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information