vhst

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
tea5ive
Main scooter: cometa 140

anyone using a vhst carb ? ,I need a few jetting details. set up is cast 175 with a very good tune, fresco under kick start exhaust, 28mm vhst. would like to know

slide
main
idle
needle/atomizer

currently has a 55 slide, 130 main, 36 idle and 60 choke, this is how I got the carb , float valve is 300 and I have drilled out the fuel inlet as this looked a bit small. cant read what's on the needle will have to fetch my magnifying glass home .

starts ok from cold and hot so choke is ok . but I am struggling to keep it ticking over so I guess I need to go up on the idle may be 38 or 40 as its not far off. on the road its perfect i.e. no bogging , pulls nice and clean from a lowish speed in top gear right up to full chat. but it seems to be running week . last week on the way back from Cleethorpes it nipped up , heard what I thought was my new weld on damper brackets that where in the tool box rattling then it nipped. back wheel locked but when I heard the rattle my hand was already covering the clutch leaver so no real drama. let clutch out when I nearly came to a stop and it started back up. when I got home I took the panel off to see if the carb was loose or the hose was split. but both where ok. I started the engine a watched the slide whilst working the throttle. the slide was going up and down but revs were staying high. I went for the kill switch and the engine carried on going , so I clicked it into first with the brakes on an stalled it. so I checked for air leaks, which there where none. fuel supply is good . any ideas welcome
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

The symptoms you describe are symptomatic of an air leak somewhere.

What's your plug colour like?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
SpanishSX200

The 55 slide is the weakest. I have used 50 slide, not cheap. I have tried several times to set this carb and it still runs lean when shutting off the throttle. I never got it to tick over successfully. I like the size of the carb, small and does pull cleanly. However, I have finally given up with it. I hope you have more luck.

Simon
fred

I tried a vhst when they first came out. I couldn't cure fuel starvation probs.
I drilled out all fuel passages, even tried a 350 float valve.
Maybe they're meant to run with fuel pumps?
It was a shame, probably the best carb i've tried, but I could only open it up for short periods.
tea5ive

defo no air leaks so i can only presume its the slide, might bite the bullet and get a 40 slide as its ok when flat out , but even i cant ride everywhere flat out :lol: . seems to be worse up to half throttle when warm. when flat out it would not matter what slide you have as its lifted up out of the way . will have a look at the needle/atomizer combo when i get home, oh and will take top end off to see how damage was done when heat seized.
tea5ive

ordered a 40 slide from dellorto should be here tomorow. hopefully this will cure it :roll:
tea5ive

update. after a bit more carb twiddling and then off to a local club meet which I did not make it to, lost compression about 8 miles into the run. when I got back home and strip down of top end I found the head gasket had cracked in two places and ring peg failure on the piston (high quality gomez ) with half of the lower ring missing . plug was a nice colour and no damage to the cylinder , no signs of excessive heat and piston crown and head nice and black . no bits of ring in crank , it must have fired it out of the fresco :lol:
tea5ive

atomizer is a 269
needle is a d41
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

Ive seen the pictures Simon :grin:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
tea5ive

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic