TORQUEY PIPE UP TO 7500 RPM ???

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
mickdale

thinking about a really torquey pipe for a harry touring tuned ts1 230 running a 30 delly and 4.38 gearing

running a stepped header large bore clubman at the mo but want to know what pipes that will go to 7500

must be full frame friendly

cheers for any advice/experience
mick
cezeta

the ron moss clubman revs to 8k as does the rs clubman. if you are used to the solid delivery of a clubman then you may be disapointed with many of the expansions onece the thrill of a power band wears off. im not a fan of an expansion without a power valve which we are unlikely to get in our lifetime..... :cry:
Special X
Main scooter: Lambretta 125 special 230cc

The AF clubman revs to over 7500 with the right set up. Only other clubmans that will beat the AF are the RS and the Gori (aparently) Have ridden a bike with the Taff road on and in my opinion it was outperformed by a clubman . . . very frustrating pipe, flat as a fart then just as it felt as if it was going to get on the boil (about 6500 rpm) it was all over.
giankx

You can try also an ADS3, one of the new pipes from Chieselspeed
gadgetman

With a reed valve 230cc engine there should be more than enough torque low down on any of the standard type exhausts provided the engine has been tuned specifically for touring.However that gearing ratio is very low for any Lambretta possibly too low to get the best out of your engine even if you're only very light. (At 4.38:1 it's about 10% lower than a PX200E and they are known as motorway cruisers. ) With that gearing unless you've got a perfectly flat torque curve peaking over 25 ft/lbs you'll spend a lot of your time in third and achieve the opposite of what you want. It would be a much better bike if you lowered the gearing to around the 4.7:1 mark you would have a higher top speed as you would be able to rev higher in top and you wouldn't be constantly changing down when riding uphill .Cruising rpm would only be 10% higher but you would have more acceleration for overtaking.
mickdale

the gearing is spot on - it pulls slight/medium inclines in 4th no problem.

i told harry i wanted a low revving torquey tourer and we have both been pleasantly suprised at the results

the engine seems to just about peak at 7000 with the big bore clubman and was wondering if another pipe would keep the powerband going for another 500 rpm

it pulls from 30mph in 4th with ease and dont really want to loose bottom end which might be a problem

mate has recommended a devtour but was after advice before splashing out the cash

cheers
mick
gadgetman

Sounds like you've got it just how you want it so stick with it but lower the gearing 10% and you'll have a much better bike - only my opinion but I know what it's like to have an over geared Lambretta and the transformation that you get by tweaking the ratio a little bit. The gearing has one of the biggest impacts on a scooters ride-ability of any modification At the end of the day it's your opinion that counts but it would be interesting to hear the opinions of some of the experienced tuners/scooterists on this topic that post on this forum.
Have you had your engine dynoed with your current exhaust?, if so if you post the graphs it would be a tremendous help in advising on the best way forward
bazman
Playstation gamer tag: bazman70

I've always found the jl3 to be a good pipe which will rev upto 7500 (and over), like yourself have a tourqey engine which will pull lovely from 35-40mph in top gear , TS230 but with 4.8 ratio gearing, i'm very happy with this suits my riding style , i reckon it will pull 4.6 no problem maybe lower but like i said happy the way it is.
mickdale

thanks for the input
couldnt quite get a 47 rear sprocket on with the chain to tight to slightly raise the gearing so will stay with the 21/46 for now as i do long motorway journeys and it sits nice in 4th with the 30mm delly
am hoping to get it dynoed in jan so will post findings then.
sometimes its better to stick with what youve got but i never could leave my lammys alone

cheers
mick
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

http://scooterotica.org/forum/viewtopic ... hilit=ads3

I'm think Ads is using similar gearing. I'm sure he'll confirm.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information