I'm a numpty! lambretta de-tune?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Fux
Main scooter: li150 S2

I just swapped some money and a vespa for two lammies.

My original plan was to own a tuned scoot and a standard scoot.
What I have ended up with is a rb22 and a ts1.
what's the best way to de-tune the ts1 to make it more daily drive-able? Smaller carb, clubman pipe, or lower squish?

I've also heard some horror stories about rb22's and wonder what's the most common falt on them?
Muttley McLadd

How unrideable is it now?
CakeAndArseParty
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Concerns on the RB were that the shape of the inlet was not good for crank big end lubrication, hence uprated bearing on AF cranks and stipulation to not drop bellow 4% oil, also concerns about the bridged exhaust port and would it distort with heat. I think later kits / pistons may have been modified with lubrication holes in line with the exhaust bridge or maybe this was something AF did when servicing RB22 kits.

De tune TS1 by removing base gasket and increase head gasket thickness, then fit ADS3 touring or Taffy exhaust, designed to increase bottom end torque at the cost of high end over-rev. Smaller carb will generally help too.
Darrell Taylor
Dealer
Main scooter: LAMBRETTA

could try 1 or 2 teeth less on front most are overgeared check gearing calculator with ur box/current gearing
feel free to use this link to contact me on facebook and like it(if u like it)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taylor-T ... 8819767924
shocky

i had 1mm of the base of my cylinder and head recessed to give 1.3mm squish never used any gaskets (head or base ) on any TS,s ive owned also funnily enough never had and gasket failures always used solid copper exhaust gasket as well
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Fux

Thanks for the reply fella`s.
Will downsizing the carb help fuel consumption?

It has a 34 delly on now.
Fux

Right ok fellas.

I was out on the RB yesterday and that thing is serious overkill! I just didn`t realise how powerfull that thing is.

What I am thinking of doing is moving the TS1 over to the DL, flogging the RB top end and pipe, and fit something original(ish) in the Series 2.

What is the best top end option for a round town, country lane mile muncher?
coaster

I've only recently completed my first TS1 which I wanted to run with a box pipe and low down power for 2's up riding. Set it up using advice off here to reduce the port timings by eliminating base gaskets and a thinner packer (I was using a 110 rod). I ended up using a 2.5mm packer, one thin base gasket (Ron Moss) and a 1mm head gasket on the Avanti head to get the required squish. I had wanted one of Ron's new clubmans but as we are still waiting for JL to pull their fingers out I am using an Ancilotti. The result on 16/46 LI 150 gears is an engine that is VERY docile around town and will pull very cleanly through the gears with no hint of a power band. It does run out of steam at around 60-65ish mph but I reckon that's down to the exhaust. I also think it would easily pull a 17 front sprocket.

All round touring kit though, the Avanti would be right at the top of my list 8-)
Fux

Yeah, Iv`e been eyeing up the Avanti. Hmm.. I suppose what I could do is stick the TS1 on the DL and leave as is for while so I have a runner and throw some money at the series 2.
Stian

st TS1, BGM clubman and 30mm PHBH carb. A very smooth and powerfull "orginal" feeling, love it. Even if the pipe was more noicy than I hoped for...

My old RB22 is still going strong after many miles with now errors at all, so I would't be to afraid if its set up right.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information