Hydraulic backplate identification

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
lofty

I am trying to identify the parts used in this conversion, it was done by PM tuning in the late 80's.. (Ive dropped them an email just in case they still have records).

ideally i need a new piston and seals, so if anyone knows what they come from (eg a car/bike etc) any information is gratefully received.

the piston measures 35.95 mm in diameter and 30mm in length.

there are 2 seals, a plain rubber square section ring and another which seems to have a double lip and is held in with an L section metal ring.

hydraulic by clofts175, on Flickr
lofty

Ive had a bit of a google detective session..

It looks like the piston and seals are from a metro turbo 4 pot caliper.. Fortunately it seems this is popular brake upgrade for classic minis and so parts are readily available..

anyway ive placed an order with 'minispares' hopefully these parts will do the trick..
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Let us know how you get on as I've got a very similar one with the piston missing and I'm sure the measurements are the same.

http://scooterotica.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27030
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
rosscla

Here's a couple of pics of mine. It only had one seal in.

Where were the other two ?

Edit: I think the penny just dropped the L shaped ring and double lipped seal fit in the recess on the side that faces the disk?

"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
lambro

Wasn't this a Taffy conversion of the 80's ??
Try Ian the 'terribletaff' on here.

His bites work than his bark :lol:
rosscla

I PM'd him about it but he's never got back, I didn't chase it...

I was told this was a Taffspeed one though when I bought it
lambro

PM again.
Or post publically and shame him.
He's welsh, he's heard worse :lol:

Ian will be your best point of call, or you can ask someone who has his mobile/email to contact him for you.

Shaun.
lofty

I will let you know how I get on..

yes exactly, the outer seal goes in the recess nearest the disk, and is held in by the L shaped ring..

however after spending ages poring the internet and finally finding the answer I googled 'metro 4 pot lambretta' , one of the first hits was a link to the LCGB website forum and a post from Ian saying the taffspeed version used the same piston and seals..
http://www.forums.ilambretta.com/viewto ... 6&p=293094

so the answer was under my nose all along, but unfortunately I wasnt asking the right question, very philosophical, that could be 'thought for the day' i suppose ;)
shocky

lots of people did these conversions in the 80,s taffspeed ,msc, kegra and so claimed to be the first was mbd my first one was from taffspeed in 1984 and fitted to my 240 which later went on to be my gp6 race bike
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information