Best all round tyres?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

Hi all, currently using Michelin S1's but they don't fill me with much confidence in the wet. I've got a new set of Schwalbe racemans ready to fit on some new tubeless rims. Were the racemans affected with the same problems as the weathermans? Any recommendations on the best all round tyre? Thanks in advance Pete.
DaveTomo
Main scooter: SX 200

The best tyres are all round :lol: I'll get me coat.......................
But anyway, I use conti twist sport and have found them to be very good.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.
tonydevon
Main scooter: '71 GP125

I run conti twist race, but you need to factor in a new rear every 600-800 miles I suppose?

but £34 each? and total confidence in it, its a price Im happy to pay, I only do about 300 miles a month I suppose, might have diffeent opiion on them if I was using it for commuting and long runs etc
heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it does fail, hit them with it!!!
coaster

DaveTomo wrote:The best tyres are all round :lol: I'll get me coat.......................
But anyway, I use conti twist sport and have found them to be very good.
+1, I replaced the worn out Raceman on my Jet with one a few weeks ago just before heading off on the C2C. Very impressed, plenty of grip on the gravel strewn Cumbrian passes and the rain soaked A66 and M6. Highish speed rating of 83 mph and a high load rating of 50 kilos. All manufactured by a proper tyre company with proper QA processes rather than a jumped up bicycle tyre company that won't take responsibility for the obvious manufacturing problem they currently have :roll:
Captain Chaos

Expect a multitude of opinions on this question.

Each to their own for sure, but for the money, a conti twist gets my vote. Especially given its good speed and load ratings.

I've tried S1's and Racemans in the past, but i've now got twists on all my scoots and so far so good! ;)
Daggs

S83's good in the sixties, good today.........................................
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

Thanks Guys.
Muttley McLadd

Tyres are a bit of a personal choice for deciding a 'best'.

One man's awesome is another man's death trap.

The Conti Twists are pretty cheap though. Cheap enough you can fu ck them off if you think they're sh it.
CakeAndArseParty
simplex

Went from Weathermans, which I thought were brilliant, to Conti twists after reading the scare stories regarding schwable tyres... the Contis wore uneven on the sides on the front after about a month causing handling irregularities.. this could be down to a number of things.. over eager Scootrs front disk .. or tyre pressures.. i have been running f with 22 front & 34 back .. on Sip tubeless.. in not well fed chap particularly (15st).. what pressures are you chaps using. oh.. cover approx 800m per month
tonydevon
Main scooter: '71 GP125

this is yet another minefield, I inflated mine to the sort of pressures Im used to with bikes etc, theory being that being tubeless its the pressure holding them in place and sealing it?

Im running 34 rear and 28 front

had no problems, lots of people saying the front too high? but it rides fine, wears even and good? been told 18psi, to me thats a flat tyre

maybe I need change way of thinking from bikes to scooters?

trouble is that Lambretta never gave figures for tubeless, so I just made an educated guess at what pressures are advised for the tyres on modern scooters?

I looked at a yamaha that the guy next door to me has, it quoted 1.75-2 bar front 2-2.5 bar rear, so I made that out as 28 front and about 34 rear

perhaps my logic is misplaced or damaged :)
heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it does fail, hit them with it!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information