EGT sensor

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

I have a Falcon EGT gauge from Airworld but the sensor probe wires break regularly due to vibration even with a spring coil wrapped around the lead,so I wondered if something like this may prevent the wiring breaking http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2M-EGT-Thermo ... 51a9d742fe Are all K probes compatable with any analogue gauge?
CANbus

I have just installed that style of probe, i purchased my set up from Speed Hut and its still has to be tested. typically temp probes are a pt100 or pt1000 which is the resistance (ohm) value.

Neil
11111111 = 0xFF
coaster

I have a similar gauge from Skydrive http://www.skydrive.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=EG001 and had the same problem using the straight type. They lasted only a few hours even when using the spring off the first one to supplement the second one. I bought the type with a 90 degree bend from a Chinese supplier on ebay and it has been in for over a year now. I did last years Belgium Euro with it and have just done the C2C run so have around 2000 miles on it. That said, it does occasionally go a bit erratic and pack up (happened twice) but has been steady for the last 600 or so miles so could just be a loose connection.
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

I have just had to replace mine on the cheap Mcgill motorsports gauge off ebay. the probe lasted 2 years so I think thats not bad. The one here was a few bob more than yours but I was commited to the olive design as I welded the 1st part to my pipe and I found the depth makes a big differance to the readings
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180991856755? ... 1439.l2649
I found the break in the wire after 2 years was just at the end of the spring, as its a solid core wire its always going to be the weak point but 2 years is OK by me, for the peace of mind having an EGT gives me, (cheaper than a piston)
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

The Falcon gauge is the same as the Skydrive one , all made in the Far East anyway :D The probes are cheaper at Airworld though but I think I'll try the EBay ones ,for £11 worth a go.
coaster

wack 63 wrote:The Falcon gauge is the same as the Skydrive one , all made in the Far East anyway :D The probes are cheaper at Airworld though but I think I'll try the EBay ones ,for £11 worth a go.
I spoke with the guy at Skydrive about CHT gauges and probes and he told me they are all made in China.
coaster

[quote="Monty"]....I was commited to the olive design as I welded the 1st part to my pipe and I found the depth makes a big differance to the readings
quote]

Monty, I think they all use the olive, mine screws into a nut that I welded to the down tube.
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

coaster wrote:
Monty wrote:....I was commited to the olive design as I welded the 1st part to my pipe and I found the depth makes a big differance to the readings
quote]

Monty, I think they all use the olive, mine screws into a nut that I welded to the down tube.
Yes I did the same but the next part used to come out so I welded that as well. Some of the EGT probes seem to be very thin in diameter, these are about 5mm, the one that has a right angle bend in may clear the pipe better on mine as I drilled and welded the hole before I fitted the pipe and it could have done with being a bit further round the pipe. Any way new probe pulled through with the old one and working perfectly after 1/2 hour so result.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information