CYCLONE GEARBOX – BATCH 2 RECALL

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

^... same as me. I like mine to the point that I'm thinking about getting another to further explore the potential of using one in a revvier motor, along the lines of Jap 2-strokes having narrower/higher BHP powerbands and more gears so that the riding experience is no different to a standard machine... other than that is much faster because of the higher BHP. My V1 is in a 260cc tourque monster and gives a sedate long/relaxed ride, pulling a high 5th to a respected touring speed but I can see why Rimini have put one in a TS1 as a demonstrator. Even with one of the expansions that has a narrower powerband / higher BHP figure you can simply select power, rather than 'chase' it in the way you do with a 4-speed.

One of the reasons why my own tuning/setup learning curve has taken me from standard bikes to tuned iron barrel bikes, through kitted bikes to tuned kitted bikes, through tuned kitted bikes with all the pipe/reed/ignition add-ons, then back to big cc torque'y touring motors is that I got bored of chasing the power... drop out of the revs and drop out of the power so up and down the box and finding that I really needed a 3.5th gear (or a 2.5 on twisty and hilly roads!) on a 4 speed box. Hence settling on the limitation of a less peaky motor with a nicer ride, when using a 4-speed. The Cyclone instantly bypasses this limitation.

I'm really trying not to write to Santa.... but swapping between my 4-speed and 5-speed bikes for work reminds me of this issue every week!

Adam
sideout
Main scooter: SX150/GP Muggy/LiS3 Avanti TT3

^.... and me Adam. You don't appreciate what a gap there is between 2nd and 3rd on a Indian GP200 box until you try to go up a hill using an engine with a narrow power band!
It's more fun for me to ride an Avanti or even a standard SX200 than be chasing revs and going up and down the box all the time :)
I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a Cyclone for the GP now, just waiting for the 5 speed gear change housing for Indian GPs to get produced.
twenty eight

more than happy with mine ran a tuned ts1 high bhp franspeed race pipe, the cyclone gearbox performed well (always a revvy monster) always had the edge on pick up and had the power on inclines ,dropped a ring peg and I found a crack on the spigot of the barrel from a repair...just had a cast iron rs Kawasaki 225 conversion done for a change not sure of what pipe to use with it very much looking forward to getting it set up should have plenty of torque
RAP 200

Hi Adam Darren here ,my tune is mugello 225 v4 , franspeed race , variatronic with modified 1.2 kg flywheel ,34mm vm mikuni ,60mm crank, I have spent a lot of time porting the cylinder and the timings are as follow, ex 190 ,transfer 130 , inlet 165 , this motor is all top end power ,now on a 4 speed this motor would be hard work but it runs a cyclone 5 , it also runs 17-46 primaries , this motor goes like stink and because of the 5 speed you can now run very light flywheels , also you seem to be able to run longer inlet durations as the motor picks up much faster between gear changes so it doesn't have that boggy period of a 4 speed that has just changed to its next gear so there is very little spit back through the carb , I live in Adelaide Australia and this tune is perfectly suited to riding through the Adelaide hills area with endless miles of winding roads and will still pull 80mph+on this gearing , much more fun to ride than a low rev touring tune. Cheers Daz.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Daz,

Thanks for the feedback. Your port timings are similar to Sticky's Rapido, other than the fact that his is running a reed with extended inlet timing, which I was lucky enough to test ride. Yep, very different to my current setup and much closer to the sort of motor that I'm very tempted to give a go.

I'll let you know if I go down this route, and how I get on. Sounds like fun :)

Cheers,

Adam
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information