No power from new stator plate??

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Scootermonkey

Had a problem starting, traced it to no spark. On inspection I found one of the coils on the SIL electronic stator burned out. I have since replaced the stator, still no spark. I put an electrical tester on the green wire coming from the stator and kicked the engine over, but no power. Tried the same on the yellow wire from the stator, which is for the lights and the tester lights up.
Should the tester light up when connected to the green wire from the stator? Any other ideas as to what could be wrong?
Thanks
How hard can it be!
Lambretta, the finest scooter............IN THE WORLD!
joespeed

open magnets on indian flywheel may have picked up some swarf check it out,clean with a pipe cleaner,
regards
joe
try a known good stator
Scootermonkey

Brand new stator plate fitted. Could be faulty I know. Wondering if theres a way of testing the stator while in situ?
How hard can it be!
coaster

Scootermonkey wrote:Brand new stator plate fitted. Could be faulty I know. Wondering if theres a way of testing the stator while in situ?
Yes there is, you will need a multimeter ( a cheap one from Maplin or ebay will do) connect one lead of the meter to the engine case and the other to the white (stator earth). With the meter set to read ohms, you should be seeing close to zero ohms. Move the test lead to the green (LT coil) and you should see somewhere between 450 and 500 ohms. Then move it to the red (pickup0 which should read between about 95 to 115 ohms. If the white is higher than 2 or 3 ohms you need to check the tightness of the earth tag on the stator which the white wire is soldered to as these are often loose and need tapping with a hammer. Let us know what readings you get.
Scootermonkey

Thanks for that info mate. I'll give it a try, and get back to you with the results
How hard can it be!
Scootermonkey

Ok all checks done as suggested. Good earth between engine and frame. Readings on the green wire was 450 and the red wire was 95. I've even tried a cdi from a running scooter but still no spark! Any more suggestions anyone?
I've contacted the supplier of the new stator and asked for a replacement, can't think of anything else that it could be :cry:
How hard can it be!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information