CHT fitment on SIL speedo

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
sideout
Main scooter: SX150/GP Muggy/LiS3 Avanti TT3

coaster wrote:
sideout wrote:I bolted one of mine to a fin on the head, works fine. However, I drilled a clearance hole as the thread is not a common Metric Coarse, I seem to recall I worked it out to be an American one.
Which bit did you bolt to the head? the plug ring or did you bolt the screw in lead dirceclty to the head?
It was the threaded bit, I just drilled a clearance hole in the Avanti head and fixed it in place with the nut. Seems to work quite happily :)
Image[/url]
OAP
Dealer

sideout wrote:
coaster wrote:
sideout wrote:I bolted one of mine to a fin on the head, works fine. However, I drilled a clearance hole as the thread is not a common Metric Coarse, I seem to recall I worked it out to be an American one.
Which bit did you bolt to the head? the plug ring or did you bolt the screw in lead dirceclty to the head?
It was the threaded bit, I just drilled a clearance hole in the Avanti head and fixed it in place with the nut. Seems to work quite happily :)
Image[/url]
Sponsored by Tesco? normally they are into everything, and employ anyone, now they are stopping Foreign Bodies from getting in :roll:
coaster

Thanks Sideout, what soer of readings are you getting out of interest?
MAB

Great pic just what I was after cheers. ;)
sideout
Main scooter: SX150/GP Muggy/LiS3 Avanti TT3

OAP wrote:Sponsored by Tesco? normally they are into everything, and employ anyone, now they are stopping Foreign Bodies from getting in :roll:
Sponsorship seems quite popular on this forum, thought I'd join in Ron :)

Coaster, I get 255 deg F on the CHT SIP gauge and 450 deg C on a seperate EGT gauge. Mikuni TM24 and KBA Clubman, untill Mr Moss' Superclubman arrives ;)
MAB

Should that be 255 c and 450 f. I thought I had seen somewhere they only read up to 250c or have I read it wrong it wouldn't be the first time :oops:
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

MAB wrote:Should that be 255 c and 450 f. I thought I had seen somewhere they only read up to 250c or have I read it wrong it wouldn't be the first time :oops:
No that is 225f for CHT (cylinder head temperature) and 450c for EGT (exhaust gas temperature).
If it was 255c on an Avanti head with the temp probe mounted like that I don't think there would be a running engine left. :lol:
MAB

Mmm been there a few times hence temp gauge ;)

Cheers
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

With CHT gauges the temp you read seems to be very dependent on where they are mounted. For instance I have my temp probe (for the SIP speedo) mounted on the big cowl mounting cylinder head nut (because it was easy :roll: ) and my "normal temp" is low to high 60s (centigrade). If I ride harder it will go up to low/mid 70s. I guess you just have to find what's OK for your setup.

dopeshots
Xbox live gamer tag: rms789
Main scooter: GP150

I have fitted a SIP speedo with temp gauge on my Imola and have been riding it for a while now. Spec is 30mm PJ carb, variatronic, CLJL Race exh, welded and ported cases etc etc.

The reading on the temps i get are as follows:

Round town not giving it any it runs around 185c.
Sitting on a dual carriageway at 60mph it scares he crap out of me cos it can go up as high as 270c
Flat out on the motorway (75-80mph depending on wind) mile after mile it will sit at around 230c

Should I be worried at the 270c bit?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information