Fuel dilema

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
vRSG60
Main scooter: Lambretta Li125 Lambretta GP20

I filled my S3 tank back end of last week and drove a mile or so home. On Saturday 2 of us rode to Whalley and back, total 30 miles max. On the way back, after covering about 16 miles my scooter slowed right down, I switched to reserve and everything was fine again. When I got home I looked in the tank and the level had dropped about 3 inches or so, well above the level of the fuel tap I'd have thought.
I've experienced this many times. It seems it doesn't take long for the fuel to stop flowing unless I put the tap on reserve??
Any thoughts as to why this should occur? All I can think is maybe it's a poor flow tap that needs a good head of fuel unless switched to reserve.

Whatever fuel economy seems nowhere near what I was expecting. 80 MPG+
Last edited by vRSG60 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I get my kicks out on the floor.
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

Check hole in petrol cap handle is clear. Disconnect fuel line from carb and drain into a graduated jug timing how long a pint of fuel takes to drain. Should be 1 pint a minute (assuming you have a fast flow fuel tap fitted). If less, then take apart fuel tap and check for no debris inside and rubber gasket has correct size holes that line up correctly with holes in ally body. There is often a difference in the fuel flow rate between normal and reserve.
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
Tommy Boy
Main scooter: Series 1 with a Twist!

Is it a fast flow tap? Some have long 'reserve' pipes meaning they hit reserve early and you still have a good amount of fuel left. I normally unscrew the filter and shorten the pipe to a sensible length before fitting
M.D.M.A. Scooter Collective
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

I have a 11.5 litre tank and a fast flow tap. I hit reserve after 60 miles and probably have as much left as used. As pointed out you probably have a long reserve pipe.
cezeta

this is a possability.....

although there is nothing in the tank ive had it a few times (including this weekend on mrs cezetas vespa which got aa d home) where a silt substance builds up in the tap or carb.

it happened to mrs cezetas tap, i had it blown out with an air gun but this time its the carb itself thats blocked. she has a kawasaki zephyr 750 too and thats had the same.......must be make up or something.

the reason it fails half way through the tank is the weight of the fuel is no longer pushing the fuel through

i would buy a new high flow tap as they are peanuts, you symptoms can cause a seize or holed piston

another story i heard today is that modern pifco fuel is buggering the carb floats making them leak and fill up with fuel, this stopps the needle opening.
cit205

all been said before probably but some interesting reminders on here

http://www.frost.co.uk/protect-your-veh ... st-ethanol
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information