Castrol A747 Oil

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
steeleyscoot

I'm clear that you cannot (strictly speaking) mix castor based two stroke oil with any other oils (semi/full synthetic), but I would like to use Castrol A747 which is a synthetic based hybrid - so if i drain the tank and carb of it's existing fuel mix, will that be enough...?

I seem to remember somebody saying that given the main/small bearing and bore would be 'coated' in the existing synthetic oil, then using an oil like Castrol A747 without washing all of those items down before switching was a no-no.....

Anybody the wiser please...?
tonydevon
Main scooter: '71 GP125

be interested to learn about this too, its a great oil, but I would say that from experience you really should only mix it up in a can and pour into tank and use it asap.

it doesnt seem to like being left sat in a tank, however its a superb oil and got a lovely smell

I have quite a bit, but was put off using it in the lambretta due to same things you mention. and it being sat for long periods between use
heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it does fail, hit them with it!!!
steeleyscoot

I know a mate runs it with no issues, but that was from the off after an engine rebuild. Plus you get that gorgeous 'castor' smell out of the exhaust..! :)
lozmondo

I used a bottle of A747 on my old TS1 after using Motul for years.No problems.
Chucked a capfull into a Gilera runner just for the smell and the big end went..Conincidence ? I don't know ?

Incidentally, Maxima 927 is a castor based hybrid and excellent as well
tonydevon
Main scooter: '71 GP125

I was always really impressed with it, used to race gopeds and RC cars with tuned "strimmer" engines, 23cc 6+bhp at about 17k rpm, run it all season, at full throttle for a lot of the time, hours and hours of hammering it, strip it down at end of season and top of the piston almost clean, everything covered in a coat of oil, and of course that beautiful smell :)

I beleive that the same oil was run in the stroked and bored versions, 29cc, even the one that someone built with N2O on it, from memory that just broke 12bhp 5nm torque on the dyno, revving their nuts off.

I once out of interest put an old motor on a jig, started it, ran it full throttle for about an hour, well it used close on 3l of fuel, damn thing just died, then started again and went on as normal LOL

I dont doubt that other oils would have done the same job, but for me its about confidence, and I love that oil.
heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it does fail, hit them with it!!!
warts
Main scooter: honda

My SX with a Wal Phillips ran very well using castor, the old R40 stuff. The piston would seize every day until I changed. It had a 70mm piston/cylinder, just buttoned up and started, not cleaning the bottom end seemed to have no ill effects.
I always mixed in a can, giving it a good swirl round. I gave the scoot a good shaking each time I started it too.
Castor is the shittest oil around as far a varnish, stability, miscability and all those things that modern oils do so well. However it is the best oil in the world as far as lubricity is concerned.
stokky

You can still get the old style Castrol R (R40) at Westerby's in Bradford (just off Canal Road).

Was about £10 for a litre can a while ago.

He sells it to the guys with the big old british bikes.
sparklymarkly
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

stokky wrote:You can still get the old style Castrol R (R40) at Westerby's in Bradford (just off Canal Road).
Ooooohhhh- old school Cazzy R!
I loved that smell - even ran my Vespa 50 Special on it for a while just for the smell. :D
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

I would love to know if you can or cannot officially mix it with anything else- purely for the resultant smell.

Back in the day we had no qualms (or knowledge) of whatever oil we used in our mixture- indeed, most of the garages with the push down dispenser, used whatever was knocking about and we had no problems.
Scootering since 1968.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Why? What's so special about Castrol A747 oil that it has to be that one?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information