Which fuel to use ??

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
chris2470

I have a query regarding which unleaded petrol to use in my lammy.
I have read that its ideal to use the best quality you can get i.e Vpower and BP Ultimate and this what I have done. But recently I've been told that there's no need, in fact it's better to always stay away form these and use standard unleaded and save some pennies.
Which statement is correct? or are there factors that can will govern which fuel is best to use such as state of tune etc?
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Best regards Chris
Last edited by chris2470 on Sun May 03, 2009 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards

Chris
Boo

Hi Chris it depends on the compression of your engine,if your compression is high ie 1mm-1.5mm then its best to use the high octane fuel if not then i would use ordinary unleaded i think the high octane helps reduce detonation hope this helps
Lambrettas are for life!
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

there was talk of the extra detergents in the "Super" fuels causing problems with the 2T mix.

Whether or not this is so I don't know- I've always used basic Tesco's unleaded with no problems

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
Dazza
Main scooter: S3 LI Rapido 225

I always used to use the higher octane stuff on my 210 but after reading about detergents washing the lubricating oil off cylinder walls I stopped using it and spent the money saved on an octane booster that I use if going on a long fast(ish) run.
If it aint broke.........tinker with it.....
chris2470

Many thanks for all the input.
I currently running in a stage 5 225 Ali barrel with a 1.25 squish.
Do you think its worth putting a larger head gasket on and using the standard fuel from now on?
Best Regards

Chris
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

chris2470 wrote: Do you think its worth putting a larger head gasket on and using the standard fuel from now on?
No, your squish is spot on....a thicker gasket will change that.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information