Advice on using choke to stop heat seize on long ride

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
simonwwfc

Now I've heard people talking about putting the choke full on if on a steady ride for a few miles saying it helps to stop heat seize ? Does this apply to tuned scoots as well , as only had me thinking yesterday on way back from ace cafe in London whilst I was sat on a40 coming out towards denham whilst sitting at around 50 mph on my 186 muggy any thoughts on this please .
Muttley McLadd

Didn't you have someone jet it for you on a dyno? Have you changed anything since?

Presumably the guy doing it suggested what to vary for different conditions - ie, normal riding or prolonged highway use. Did he?

Your dyno guy would have to have done something seriously wrong for you to have worries sitting at 50mph. Unless 50mph is flat out for a Mugello..
CakeAndArseParty
rbgaz
Main scooter: gp rb230 dragster 180lc

i put the choke on on my rb if on a long run, my temp gauge will comfirm a drop in temps when doing this
camel

rbgaz wrote:i put the choke on on my rb if on a long run, my temp gauge will comfirm a drop in temps when doing this
Surely you shouldn't be doing this if your jetted correct?
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

my delly 22 is jetted with a 125 an I don't need the choke; to use the choke for fast riding I drop the main t 120 then the choke works just fine to cool the motor; am I doin somit wrong :?:

muppet,
C’est la vie
simonwwfc

I haven't changed anything since I've had it all set up and rebuilt on dyno .
Ricko

I have used the choke on, as a get me back home trick, when my scooter had shown the signs of a heat seize, in order to prevent being stuck in the middle of nowhere.
The problem I then had was sorted out, (spilt carb rubber) and the jetting was returned to normal.

If someone is using the choke on, in normal practise, the carb/timing needs sorting out or they have no faith their scooter!
Having said that I always ride with my hand resting on the clutch lever.....just in case! ;)

Cheers Rick.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

simonwwfc wrote:Now I've heard people talking about putting the choke full on if on a steady ride for a few miles saying it helps to stop heat seize ? Does this apply to tuned scoots as well , as only had me thinking yesterday on way back from ace cafe in London whilst I was sat on a40 coming out towards denham whilst sitting at around 50 mph on my 186 muggy any thoughts on this please .
You haven't actually said if you were having any problems at all....so was this just a random thought, or inspired by an actual problem?

As far as choke cooling these motors, it can be a good idea on long runs.....and even more so on tuned motors. In fact Darrell Taylor produces a thumb operated choke lever kit especially just for this very issue. Your 'round town' may need to be a little crisper to make the bike rideable on short journeys, and to stop it choking up. But on along journey, you may want to richen up.

If you are having problems though, have you checked with your engine builder and/or dyno operator as to your settings etc? They may be able to help you.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:...a thumb operated choke lever kit especially just for this very issue. ...
I converted an old Amal lever from a British bike to be a thumb operated choke, It doesn't spring back, so just a little choke can be added if I think things are getting a bit hot down there.
simonwwfc

I've had no issues riding it since rebuild but was just wondering if this would help the scoot whilst riding on long journeys
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information