Idiots guide to fitting clutch cable

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
simonwwfc

I don't usually fit or fix anything on my scooter gp but I need desp to fit a new clutch cable so gotta do it this morning as off work til Tuesday , gonna put scoot in dining room . Any help tips on fitting new cable with pm tuning adjustable levers wot setting should they be on also just a bit of help fitting and setting cable up into trunnion thanks Simon
coaster

First off, you adjust the SIP levers to suit your own comfort, the little lever simply moves the big lever nearer or further away from the bars. As for changing the cable, It's a 10 minute job if you are just changing the inner. If you are changing the outer as well it can be a bit more involved depending on how many 'ties' have been used to hold the outer to the frame.

Assuming it's just the inner:
Undo the trunion at the engine end 1.5mm allen key and either pliers or a small open ended spanner (some nipples ude a hex bolt instaed of the alen screw) I find it easier to unhook the trunnion first by putting a large adjustable spanner on the clutch arm and rotating it enough to be able to dissengauge the cable.

Remove the lever pivot bolt at the headset and partially pull the cable inner through. I say partially as it helps to use a torch and see exactly where the inner enters the headset as you will be poking the new one in there and it's possible it miss the required hole.

Reassembly is just the reverse, gently insert your new inner making sure it has entered the end of the outer cable. If it snags after a few inches, you have probably missed the outer so pull out and start againyou should meet no resistance if you've got it right.

Fit the nipple into your new lever and use the inner cable to pull the lever into the headset and put the pivot bolt back in.

Down at the trunnion end, screw the adjuster in almost as far as it will go (10mm and 11mm open ended spanners) slide the trunnioin onto the inner and slide it up so that it sits in thye clutch arm. Now the bit that requires a bit of dexterity. I use a large adjustable spanner over the end of the clutch arm and rotate the lever until you can feel that all slack has been taken up. Now hold the spanner with your leg whilst you nip up the trunnion. You can also do this by trial and error using the spanner to unhook the trunnion, re-adjust and then put back. You will almost ertainly still require to take up more slack but this can be done using the adjuster, check initially by making sure that it dissengages when you kick it over. Final adjustments will need to be done when riding.

Hope that helps, your living room will be luxury, the above is normally performed at the roadside by torchlight....in the rain :roll:
simonwwfc

Thanks buddy whilst wife's at work she don't no lol helps havin French doors in dining room and wood floor lol
warts
Main scooter: honda

Don't forget the paper to soak up the blood/oil.
simonwwfc

Well cable change went well found fault at clutch lever end only held by three strands of wires , cable threaded back through straight away first time and trunnion fitment went well just need to give scoot a test run tomorrow thanks for help cheers
coaster

Glad it all went well 8-)
coaster

simonwwfc wrote:.....well found fault at clutch lever end only held by three strands of wires ..
What did I tell you??
simonwwfc

Yes mate I know , now I can get on cleaning her
simonwwfc

rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Keep an eye on the new one in case there's a sharp edge where the outer fits in the headset or the cable trunnions fits in the lever which is causing the fraying.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information