Rear wheel movement question

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Jxmiddle
Main scooter: GP250 69 targa twin

There is a very slight bit of movement on my rear wheel, not a wobble more of a slight rock (very slight - can't be seen, only felt) and it seems to have been here since I got the scoot in December. I've only ridden about 100 miles since I first noticed it and it has not got any worse. I tightened the hub nut but that made no difference. I've searched the forums and see that loose endplates have been blamed in similar situations but if it was that wouldn't it be getting worse? I'm thinking I need to open it up to take a look but I'm due to change the gearbox when the cyclones enventually arrive so I was hoping to put it off til then.

Any thoughts? Perhaps a slight bit of movement is okay :?:

Thanks.
servetakid
Main scooter: Jet 200

If the end plate is correctly tourqued down, there is a possibility it could be caused by the rear hub bearing having some play from being worn.
TS1-200

The last wobbly rear wheel I had to fix, turned out to be a knackered layshaft, worn where it went into the endplate bearing, not saying that is the cause, but if the movement is excessive it may be worth having a look inside.
Keep on keepin on
gadgetman

Its not unusual to feel a slight 'click' when you grab the rear wheel top and bottom and try to rock it. Its nothing to worry about. However if it becomes clearly visible slop then it needs investigating as a loose layshaft is potentially deadly
Jxmiddle

Thanks for the advice, I feel better about not opening every thing up and I'll put my nightmares about a catastrophic failure of my rear end on hold!

cheers
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Jxmiddle wrote: I'll put my nightmares about a catastrophic failure of my rear end on hold!
I wouldn't. I'd open it up and check the end plate play. Movement / play leads to wear which leads to more movement which leads to ....... you get the picture ...... until something gives. I suppose if the worst that can happen is the rear hub braking off then there's not much to worry about. :o
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

I've never known a Lambretta without some "play" in the rear hub- I assume we are talking about feeling the movement rather than seeing it. If you can see movement then yes you have a problem! If its movement you can just detect by rocking the rear wheel in and out then its probably OK.

Back in the day, MOT testers were given a directive that "slight" movement was acceptable.

Trouble is, no one defined what "slight" was......!

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
Angry Bloke

As the sayings goes

" just because I'm paranoid ,doesn't mean there's not someone out to get me"

I would have a look inside or a least seek a second opinion ;)
Je fettle - Tu fettle - Il fettle - Nous fettleons - Vous fettlez - Ils fettlent

"Broadsword calling Danny boy ,Broadsword calling Danny boy ,over "
nelson pk

If you have the rim and tyre on and jack the back end up on all lammys, if you grab the wheel at opposite sides you will always feel slight play.The end of the layshaft is only supported by a small needle roller bearing. If it was so tight you could feel no slight movement at all i'd be concerned.
If you do this with a vespa as well (because they run a needle roller on opposite to the rear hub as well, although bigger) you will feel some minimal play too.
The key is how much is too much? basically if its "sloppy" and you can see the wheel move, yes its way too much!
Having the rim and tyre on exaggerates the small amount of play too. If you take the rim off and check for play via just the hub and your layshaft/bearing/bearing track is good you probably would be hard pressed to notice any play.
However, saying that, it is a safety issue and if i buy any more lambrettas i will always strip and check endplate dowels etc even if i dont consider the play to be too much on the rear wheel as there are way too many shoddy builds and old damaged casings about, so if your unsure take it to a reputable scooter dealer.
Jxmiddle

Thanks all good advice, I'll take another look. There was no visible movement last time I checked. As soon as I can I'll whip the case off and have a butchers.

Cheers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information