Shimming the Gearbox

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
chris2470

Just a quick question.
At some point before the MOT I need to take the slack out of the gearbox & the end plate by fitting a larger shim but I think it now may be up near 3mm.
During this process is it permissible to fit a combination of 2 shims to get this correct i.e, 2 x 1.5mm shims rather than 1 of 3mm.
Or it this a no no.
Best Regards

Chris
coaster

I'm slightly confused here as I can't see why the gearbox shim would be an MOT item. Tightening the rear hub nut should pull the layshaft all the way home (so no endfloat) and a combination of the inner and outer bearings and the enndplate nuts should take care of any wobble. I THINK the large shim is just to limit sideways travel on the gears. I don't have a manual with me but that's my understanding of the arrangements ;)
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

Your shimmin at 3mm poss check 4 wear elsewhere in the assy
C’est la vie
DigDug
Main scooter: Lambretta

Muppet wrote:Your shimmin at 3mm poss check 4 wear elsewhere in the assy

Quite easy these days to end needing a gurt shim with all the pattern items in circulation.
Did you have to do that?
tonydevon
Main scooter: '71 GP125

make sure and measure the shims you get, I ordered 2.6 and got 3mm, well it was a wavey 2.9-3.0 LOL

complained and they sent another set, suggested that they check them to be sure, an unopened bag arrived, marked 2.6 but 3.0 again

lobbed them in the bin and went somewhere else LOL

barnsleylambrettas actually measures the shims and sells them as the size they are rather than relying on some foreigners guess at what size sheet he just stamped the thing from.
heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it does fail, hit them with it!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information