special runs better with choke on.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Boothy_the_makem
Playstation gamer tag: Phantomkiller_uk
Main scooter: modded t5 classic wi a parker

As mentioned in my drunken ramblings last night :D

sorted the gp today. changed ht lead and it solved the none starting issue. still cutting out so swopped the fairly new plug for a new one and runs sweet now :)

Took the special out for a run. filled up with petrol at an esso garage and it started to run rough but fine on choke ????

Poor petrol do ya reckon ????
Canny lass, Geordie girl, he gave her pints and fags and grub and shorts. Canny lass, Geordie girl, she gave him earache and penal warts,Penal warts.
carlos fandango

What was it like before you filled up ?
Could be the weather ? Do you normally use it in warmer months ? cold air ( is denser) has more air, so you may be running weak ?
Or it may be s**t petrol ?
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
Boothy_the_makem

carlos fandango wrote:What was it like before you filled up ?
Could be the weather ? Do you normally use it in warmer months ? cold air ( is denser) has more air, so you may be running weak ?
Or it may be s**t petrol ?

Yeah seems like weak running.
Its only done 53 miles since full build . I did 7 mile today. Was fine before the fill up. Started second kick . Tick over nice when warm.

It was ok from the garage to me next destination down the road but on start up it was struggling.Choke on and was fine.

I will give it a run tomorrow and have a tinker .
Canny lass, Geordie girl, he gave her pints and fags and grub and shorts. Canny lass, Geordie girl, she gave him earache and penal warts,Penal warts.
nelson pk

Yep, running weak somewhere. AIr leak or too lean jetting in the cold weather?
If you have only run the choke for a short time its worth checking your fuel supply as it could be a starvation issue (blocked tap/carb filter) as well.
Boothy_the_makem

Had a quick look today (its p!ssing down so just climbed over the vespa to get at it :) )
Wouldnt start after a few kicks so give it some throttle and fired up which i spose would point again to weak fuel but seemed to run fine with choke OFF and rough when choke on ?? :)

So i will try same process as gp. clean carb. tap. ht lead. plug. etc

wondering if another dodgy plug ??

A mate had trouble with ts1 . Wouldnt run at all . changed and checked everything inc cdi etc and FIVE new plugs. i gave him the plug off my gp at the time knowing mine was fine and hey presto.

he still has that plug in. i fitted a new one in gp and fooked in less than 100 miles :(
carlos fandango

Ngk ? I never have much luck with ngks i always us champion , not as easy to get as ngk so when i see them i buy a few.Ngks seem to give up all of a sudden, champions seem to go on and on. Having said that i know a fee people who use ngks with no probs ?
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
Boothy_the_makem

Yes ngk :(

To add to the plot a mate called round today . said 5 of them went on a run last year. all filled up at that station and ALL broke down :(

What is the equivalent champion plugs for the ngk 7's and 8's ?
roy64
Main scooter: Li ts1

had loads of bother with plugs early last year ngk/nippon changed to champion n3c on me ts1 had no hick ups since
Boothy_the_makem

roy64 wrote:had loads of bother with plugs early last year ngk/nippon changed to champion n3c on me ts1 had no hick ups since

Yeah i had trouble the other year with my volvo running rough. priced up ngk and champion plugs at motorworld and was upwards from 30 odd quid.
As there is a volvo dealer just up the road i went to see what they were supplying and fitting.
Lad in the stores said they had been using mainstream plugs but werent lasting between services so changed to volvo plugs.

£25 for 5 :) and lasted well touch wood .

Ok these plugs must surely be made by one of the plug manufactures and stamped volvo. But they look different from general ones . seem to last longer and cost less :)
carlos fandango

Boothy_the_makem wrote:Yes ngk :(

To add to the plot a mate called round today . said 5 of them went on a run last year. all filled up at that station and ALL broke down :(

What is the equivalent champion plugs for the ngk 7's and 8's ?
The heat range on champion goes the opposite way to ngk
NGK lower number is a hotter plug ..Champion lower number is a colder plug

A b8es is equivalent to a N3
if you take away the plug number away from 11 it will give you the other make equivalent
So an NGK B7 is eq. to champion N4 :D ( this method dosent work for the entire range but does for the common lammy plugs ) ;)

But i use a N3 in all my engines with no problems Std 200 to RB240 :D
Russ
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information