Does RD350 piston fit Indian 185kit?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Stian

I have a budget tuning projet going. I have a indian 185 kit and a bolt on reed kit I plan to modify.

What do I have to do making this piston fit?

Stokie

Unless you need to rebore the cyclinder then you should go for the standard size of 64mm.
I was under the impression that you coud fit one without having to shorten the cyclinder but in another thread a guy who has used one in a similar set up had the barrel 'top & tailed'
Richard Taylor hopefully will see this thread as I understand these pistons are used in the GT kits so I'm sure he'll be able to clarify the barrel dimensions.
johnd
Main scooter: 1970 Dl125

I think harry barlow also used this piston in his yam190 reed valve kits years ago too.
Stian

How will a TS185 piston fit in this barrel? Nowbody knows??
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

You need to macine the cylinder and port the barrel to suit the standard length GP/SX 107mm rod or port the cylinder and use packers to use it with the longer 116mm TV rod. Either way you''ll need to machine the head to suit.

So the easy answer is NO.

Adam

EDIT: Sorry, the respoinse above was aimed at the question about fitting a TS185 piston. I'd need to check spec's of the RD350 piston to be able to tell you as I've no experience of them.

EDIT (again): http://www.wossnerpistons.com/products/ ... okietest=1 shows that it uses a 16mm gudgeon pin (good) and has a 36mm compression height, which can be made to work with the correct machining/packing (depends on which rod you use). Comments about machining head and porting barrel still stand so it is not a straight swap by any means. NB: Piston suppliers often use 'one photo for all' so I don't know if this actually looks anything like a genuine RD piston.
Yanker

Stian, You have now asked questions about different pistons, so please do not be so impatient! Yes we know the answers

1) RD350 piston: You will have to shorten the cylinder with a standard 107/58 crank. Piston has windowsfor reed. The ring pegs are in a poor position for a simple 'boost port'

2) TS185 piston: You will have to shorten the cylinder and piston with a standard 107/58 crank. Piston has no windows for reed. The ring pegs are in a good position for a simple 'boost port'

Have you thought about 'power porting'?

So what do you want to know next?

Regards
Stian

Have you thought about 'power porting'?

I am a simple minded Norwegian, so did't understand that one :roll:

I have a Yamaha 110 Rod laying around, how will that afect the case if I mount that? ;) I have a Lathe in my workshop so are able to shorten the cylinder and piston. How much have to be taken off?

Cheers
Stian
Yanker

Stian wrote:Have you thought about 'power porting'?

I am a simple minded Norwegian, so did't understand that one :roll:

I have a Yamaha 110 Rod laying around, how will that afect the case if I mount that? ;) I have a Lathe in my workshop so are able to shorten the cylinder and piston. How much have to be taken off?

Cheers
Stian
Mijn Got Stian are you always going to be so much hard work to communicate with?

The 'Simple Mindedness': I do not have a direct informed answer for :roll: maybe a bit more raw whale meat in the diet?

'Power Porting' A simple reed valve induction for piston-ported 2 strokes without holes in the piston: You can hunt wales with computers so........GOOGLE IT!

The RD? rod will not affect the case!

Your last question is worse than the first, second and third ones, so i will answer 3/8" ;-)
bigmuff
Main scooter: matt black indian gp

If you use a 110 rod you shouldnt have to top and tail barrel with an RD350 piston. Just need to cut a boost port above the inlet port. Should get you about 17bhp depending on how much porting/carb/exhaust etc.
Rich_T
Dealer
Main scooter: Li Special

With an RD350 piston and a 110 rod you do not need to machine the barrel gasket faces. Be sensible in supporting the top ring peg and it can usually run down the middle of a boos port provided it is supported. I do this on the GT kits. The piston has windows in it so you would need a reed valve manifold r similar solution.

For a TS185 piston you would require 3.5mm machining off the base gasket face when using a 110 rod.

For a cheap build the TS185 piston, 110 rod and portede barrel would be the better option.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information