Exhaust gasket sealer?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
ArmandTanzarian

Do people use sealer on the joint between downpipe and cylinder or does it get too hot?
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

never use a sealant- relied on the copper gasket and properly tightened nuts

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

I've always used a heat resistant silicone sealant with copper gasket so a bit belt and braces. Don't need to use a lot, just a smear on each side.

Never had a gasket go since using it.

Also, I always recheck the tightness of the nuts after taking it for it's first run due to expansion / heating / cooling cycle of the cylinder, studs, nuts and gasket.
Donnie.
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

Donnie wrote:I've always used a heat resistant silicone sealant with copper gasket so a bit belt and braces. Don't need to use a lot, just a smear on each side.

Also, I always recheck the tightness of the nuts after taking it for it's first run due to expansion / heating / cooling cycle of the cylinder, studs, nuts and gasket.
^all whs
nelson pk

byron wrote:
Donnie wrote:I've always used a heat resistant silicone sealant with copper gasket so a bit belt and braces. Don't need to use a lot, just a smear on each side.

^all whs
+1
Why bother going belt and braces with the head and base and inlet and then not bother with the exhaust?
The slip joint connections on any exhaust should be sealed as well in my opinion.
You'll need a high temp sealer which can be hard to find.
Cam lam do a good one.
ArmandTanzarian

How hot does the Cylinder / downpipe join get? Most sealers are only good for 250 degrees Centigrade and I'd have thought that burning exhaust gases were hotter than that.
nelson pk

Hi
Yes the gases are hotter but the pipe or barrell does not get as hot as the gases. That's why when you get an EGT reading of 560 degrees celsius, your cylinder, head and exhaust is not melting because the metal is not that hot just the gas.
The sealer i use goes up to 232 degrees celsius and is more than adequate.
Hope this helps.
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

nelson pk wrote:
byron wrote:

^all whs
+1
Why bother going belt and braces with the head and base and inlet and then not bother with the exhaust?
The slip joint connections on any exhaust should be sealed as well in my opinion.
You'll need a high temp sealer which can be hard to find.
Cam lam do a good one.
+2
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
ArmandTanzarian

I've got a tube of blue Hylomar indoors. That's rated for 250 degrees so I guess that'll do.
koomwah

I always use basic clear silicon for cylinder head (no gasket), base ally packer (no gasket) and exhaust flange. Also used for exhaust slip joints, not had a problem with it :-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information