Imola which gearbox?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

Darrell Taylor wrote:should easily pull that gearing if set up well

id check carburation and ignition timing as well as squish clearance

and check the inlet and reed assembly are properly sealed up
I had the top end rebuilt by a well known tuner after i holed the piston. I'd therefore assume all timing and squish was correct. He also said he dyno'd it but i'm dubious to wether he did or not as the dyno print off was exactly the same as one from a few months earlier when the clutch was slipping like mad. I'm 100% sure the gear box is an Italian LI150 as i've checked it with Stickys bible. I'm at a loss really as i trusted it to a tuner but without wanting to throw mud at him i'm not sure he gave me close to £600 worth of value. I will have to take it to another tuner with a dyno and try my luck with them. I've heard good things of Readspeed can anyone recommend them? Its 130 odd miles from where i live (Farnborough Hampshire) but if they are any good i'll travel to them Pete.
jonny snatchsniffer

its a smallblock its meant to be caned, but if your droping out the power in 4th with that box then it might be tune/pipe combo not right, what work has been done to the barrel ?
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

joespeed wrote:

thats fine,but the spanish box on a this would not be with the big jump from 3rd to 4th its a no no!
Ummm thats the point I was making.
Donnie.
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

10 inch Terror wrote:
I had the top end rebuilt by a well known tuner after i holed the piston. I'd therefore assume all timing and squish was correct. He also said he dyno'd it but i'm dubious to wether he did or not as the dyno print off was exactly the same as one from a few months earlier when the clutch was slipping like mad. I'm 100% sure the gear box is an Italian LI150 as i've checked it with Stickys bible. I'm at a loss really as i trusted it to a tuner but without wanting to throw mud at him i'm not sure he gave me close to £600 worth of value. I will have to take it to another tuner with a dyno and try my luck with them. I've heard good things of Readspeed can anyone recommend them? Its 130 odd miles from where i live (Farnborough Hampshire) but if they are any good i'll travel to them Pete.

right, some initial questions to start at the beginning.

I don't think you can assume the tuner did the timing and squish if you are doubting the new dyno readings being genuine?

So, Is this a new problem or is it just since the rebuild or even more recent than that?

Also, what is the last thing you did to the scooter assuming it wasn't this rebuild?
Donnie.
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

10 inch Terror wrote: I just want a rideable scoot without having to cane it everywhere. Pete
Mine was still perfectly rideable with 4.99, but I was too used to the fun of 5.4.
Maybe the Imola is only happy when thrashed and you've chosen the wrong kit for your requirements when a Mugello / GT may have been better suited.
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

I had the barrell tuned and the casings welded and matched. I asked for a fast high reving tune and left it to the tuner. I collected it all and built the engine up thinking it would be a simple job. I know now that its not and with hindsight i should of asked for port heights and timings ect ect. I had the engine sitting around for a few years whilst i built the scoot up got it sprayed registered and what have you. Once fitted i had no end of problems with the clutch slipping so never got round to putting any miles on it due to work commitments and working away ect. It never pulled very well and did what i described originally but i put it down to the clutch problems. Anyway i finally sorted the clutch but i then holed piston so I took it back to the tuner to rebuild the top end. As i said i trusted him to put it all back properly and to spec. I got it back after waiting nearly 3 months thinking it would be a flying machine and i've been dissapointed ever since. I don't really want it to crunch mile after mile on motorways i've only ever wanted it to rag around town and short blasts around some nice twisty country lanes near me. Here's a picture of the tuning work which i must say looks to my untrained eye very good work. I'd post more but in every other photo i've got it shows the tuners name and as i said i'm not trying to mud sling. Cheers for all your comments thus far Pete.

Last edited by 10 inch Terror on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joespeed

10 inch Terror wrote:I had the barrell tuned and the casings welded and matched. I asked for a fast high reving tune and left it to the tuner. I collected it all and built the engine up thinking it would be a simple job. I know now that its not and with hindsight i should of asked for port heights and timings ect ect. I had the engine sitting around for a few years whilst i built the scoot up got it sprayed registered and what have you. Once fitted i had no end of problems with the clutch slipping so never got round to putting any miles on it due to work commitments and working away ect. It never pulled very well and did what i described originally but i put it down to the clutch problems. Anyway i finally sorted the clutch but i then holed piston so I took it back to the tuner to rebuild the top end. As i said i trusted him to put it all back properly and to spec. I got it back after waiting nearly 3 months thinking it would be a flying machine and i've been dissapointed ever since. I don't really want it to crunch mile after mile on motorways i've only ever wanted it to rag around town and short blasts around some nice twisty country lanes near me. Here's a picture of the tuning work which i must say looks to my untrained eye very good work. I'd post more but in every other photo i've got it shows the tuners name and as i said i'm not trying to mud sling. Cheers for all your comments thus far Pete.

pete,
if i had this work done by a well known tuner and it was poor with problems then i would be talking to him rather than fishing and getting what may be false information on here,this would be my first port of call,then come on here!
if the tuner sorts this then come back and tell us about him!!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information