Kick Start Jamming??

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
andy summers

Hi,

When my li s2 has been stood for a while (im talking overnight/days) the kickstart jams when trying to kick over. its strange as sometimes it will kick over, then jam, then kick over again. Eventually after about 20 attempts it starts to free up so i can get a good kick so it will fire. If I then go for a ride and kill the engine then try and kick over again when its still warm/hot it kicks over freely.

Ive had the side casing off and the kickstart shaft seems to be working ok, it travels all the way down and the plunger comes out as expected. the shaft spring returns the plunger as well. I can turn the top end over by hand with the flywheel and nothing seems to be catching. This has only started happening over the last 2 months.

Cos the kickstart mechinism seems to be working properly and it frees up after numerous kicks/when its warm, could it be a clutch issue? The engine has been rebuilt and done less then 300 miles. Other than new bearings/seals all the kick start parts are original. the only new parts is a rear sprocket and endplate shim. Compression is fine once it eventually frees up.

its a li150 s2 with ally 185 top end.

Any help appreciated.
tarmac tickler

take off the chaincase side,, put tipex or nail varnish on your top plate of the crownwheel,, put chaincase back on with a couple of nuts, take out the spark plug and turn it over by hand nice and steady a few times,, take off chaincase and you,,ll see where its catching ,, grind or dremel off the offending metal on the kickstart ,, repeat until all is well
GP240

Just an idea,

check to see if sprockets are set at same height, is the chain too slack, snagging/jamming up, also is chain snagging the guide ?
Old Lambretta's never die, they get tuned..................
Daggs

Are you sure the piston isn't siezing?
Have you tried holding in the clutch lever and seeing if the kickstart will go down easily every time?
andy summers

Thanks for the replies.

The piston doesnt seem to be sticking. it fully returns to its starting point and the teeth that mesh with the gear cog are not sticking out too far.
Ive checked the chain tension and all is OK and isnt catching/snagging the chain guide.

Ive not tried holding in the clutch lever yet. so if the kickstart jams with the clutch lever fully in, does that mean the kickstart piston is sticking?
Daggs

Sorry i didn't make myself clear. I mean the piston in the cylinder/barrel
Magalluf

A friend of mine had this problem and on inspection I found that the spring cap hadn`t been put properly on the front sprocket. It should line up but if you just tighten it up without aligning it it goes solid causing this problem.

Steve
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information