Lambretta sip speedo is it more hassle than its worth ??

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Dryballs

Mine fitted fine... Chrome ring sx headset
simonwwfc

just ordered sensor cable kit from beedspeed £30
tonytoolbox

have to agree with everyone ,you wont be disapointed fit mine last year gp no issue and ive gone for the magnet route, havnt had a working speedo for years,well pleased
simonwwfc

Thanks all for comments isnt there a step by step pic guide on here some where
robbbee
Main scooter: Spanish Li 150 Winter Model

Hi Guys,

Alot of you seem to be having no problems with you SIP speedo, but I am having a few issues with mine. My biggest problem is getting the speedo to actually work. I fitted it but hadn't set it up before the run to Davos for the Euro. Therfore, it was mostly an expensive temperature guage (brilliant! I have drilled a hole in a cooling fin though, and not machined out the head to get the ring around the spark plug), clock and rev counter (not too sure on the accuracy). It seemed, after looking at everyone elses, that the sensor wasn't close enough to the magnet. So when i got home I changed the position of the sensor bracket, and placed the magnet on the inside of my LTH front disc, and the sensor is now a gnats chuff away from it! I have entered the circumference of my front wheel, but as I ride, the speedo reads a selection of random numbers which, while stationary, seem alter with the revs. Plus, while riding, the needle slowly buries itself to the right, and the digital readout sticks at 199 or goes blank after a while. Now, I'm pretty quick but........!

The clock now also seems to be all over the place too. Not to mention a possible leak under the glass (Again!). This is my second SIP speedo. I never got the first one set up either, as first the button broke then it leaked the first time i left it in the rain at a rally, and the digital display started to lose lines. SIP agreed to a replacement, and it arrived half an hour before I left for the Euro, hence no time to set it up! This one also seemed a bit bigger, as although the first one fitted a treat, this one fouled the wheel on the end of the throttle rod, and I lost my throttle return, so I had to remove some shims. A simple solution, but why?

I am starting to wish I had never seen it, but if it works, its a great piece of kit. Can anyone please shine a light on this prickly problem?

Robbie
Train Driver

robbbee wrote:Hi Guys,

Alot of you seem to be having no problems with you SIP speedo, but I am having a few issues with mine. My biggest problem is getting the speedo to actually work. I fitted it but hadn't set it up before the run to Davos for the Euro. Therfore, it was mostly an expensive temperature guage (brilliant! I have drilled a hole in a cooling fin though, and not machined out the head to get the ring around the spark plug), clock and rev counter (not too sure on the accuracy). It seemed, after looking at everyone elses, that the sensor wasn't close enough to the magnet. So when i got home I changed the position of the sensor bracket, and placed the magnet on the inside of my LTH front disc, and the sensor is now a gnats chuff away from it! I have entered the circumference of my front wheel, but as I ride, the speedo reads a selection of random numbers which, while stationary, seem alter with the revs. Plus, while riding, the needle slowly buries itself to the right, and the digital readout sticks at 199 or goes blank after a while. Now, I'm pretty quick but........!

The clock now also seems to be all over the place too. Not to mention a possible leak under the glass (Again!). This is my second SIP speedo. I never got the first one set up either, as first the button broke then it leaked the first time i left it in the rain at a rally, and the digital display started to lose lines. SIP agreed to a replacement, and it arrived half an hour before I left for the Euro, hence no time to set it up! This one also seemed a bit bigger, as although the first one fitted a treat, this one fouled the wheel on the end of the throttle rod, and I lost my throttle return, so I had to remove some shims. A simple solution, but why?

I am starting to wish I had never seen it, but if it works, its a great piece of kit. Can anyone please shine a light on this prickly problem?

Robbie
Are you using a resistor plug and HT cap ??
The needle sticking, the odd read outs sounds like mine when I had to change a plug and didn't have a NGK resistor plug
TS1 and PX stay in the garage (future barn finds) out on the GTS 300 when I go out on a scooter.
I know I’ll get there and back
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

Robbie, you must, I repeat must, use either:
A. A resistor type spark plug.
B. A resistor type plug cap
C. A suppressor type ht lead.
But only one of the above, not all three. this is generally the cause of the problem you describe.
You say you set up the tyre circumference, but did you also set up that you were using the sensor rather than the cable and how many pulses per wheel revolution (magnets) there were?
Do you have a battery 12v supply for the unit as some ac supplies at tick over can be a fair bit below 12v and cause problems.
To check that the sensor is working OK, with power to the speedo just spin the wheel and you will see a blue light go on and off (on the end of the sensor itself) every time it passes the magnet.
By the way it doesn't need a magnet, just a transition of something ferrous such as bolt heads or holes in a disc going past the sensor (I pick up from the rear wheel studs).
Once you do get it going I am sure you'll love it and if you have access to a GPS to check your speed, you can calibrate it very accurately by adjusting the tyre circumference value.
I hope some of this info helps!
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

Looks like Traindriver beat me to it on the resistor plug info :)
robbbee
Main scooter: Spanish Li 150 Winter Model

Cheers for that! I am using a resistor plug, but not sure about the lead. When I get home (Currently on work time! :) )I shall check out it all out.
depechediki
Main scooter: gp ts1225

I've had mine fitted for a year,worked great until a couple of months ago.The temp works but every other reading is all over the place,clock resets itself at will and the face has been steamed up since I first went out in the rain some 8 months ago,almost ready to bin it! :-(
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information