Imola 186 no power

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
dopeshots
Xbox live gamer tag: rms789
Main scooter: GP150

Hello people, I hope someone can come up with some ideas for me.

I have a Imola 186 (latest version) fitted with a ultimate Variatronic ignition, CamLam JLRace, 30mm dellorto PJ... Etc etc.

Went for a little ride today and It was fine when it was cold but as soon as it started to warm up it started missing and holding back. It would only rev to about 7000rpm and lacked power. I had put a new plug in it before the ride out. i had put a new stator plate in it about 1000 miles ago as it kept eating spark plugs.

Any ideas?

Cheers :bouncyeng:
soullad
Dealer

dopeshots wrote:Hello people, I hope someone can come up with some ideas for me.

I have a Imola 186 (latest version) fitted with a ultimate Variatronic ignition, CamLam JLRace, 30mm dellorto PJ... Etc etc.

Went for a little ride today and It was fine when it was cold but as soon as it started to warm up it started missing and holding back. It would only rev to about 7000rpm and lacked power. I had put a new plug in it before the ride out. i had put a new stator plate in it about 1000 miles ago as it kept eating spark plugs.

Any ideas?

Sounds like an electrical component, such as the LT coil or CDI breaking down.
dopeshots

Had a new coil, cdi, stator on it about 1000 miles ago
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

Had exactly the same problem before xmas on my GP Avanti, stators gone for check and replace/repair what ever has expired

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
dopeshots

Anyone got any idea what causes the stator to pack up or causes it to misfire when the engine warms up?
Andy Pickering

A breakdown of 1 or more electrical components, when cold it can work as normal but has the engine warms the electrical components begin to expand and if there's a problem then it will show as ours have, see if you can get a tester on it to check?

dopeshots

Ok that makes sense Andy... Many thanks. Out of interest where u testing yours rewound/fixed??

Cheers Russ
dopeshots

I meant getting yours rewound
Andy Pickering

Local lad doing it, a mate dropped it off last week, he does a lot by all accounts, full check and re wire/ solder if necessary, and replacement of failed parts.

Starwave

dopeshots wrote:Hello people, I hope someone can come up with some ideas for me.

Any ideas?

Hello

Recently had a very similar problem. But it would only rev to about 3 or 4000, and like your's the problem only occurred when the engine was warm, after a few miles riding.
I changed every ignition component after disconnecting the cut-out (starting with the plug) and eventually cured it with an old repaired stator I had on the shelf. Pretty sure it was a carp pick-up.
Also - and apologies if ye already knows this - if you use an AF lightened flywheel you need to make sure the LT coil is the low type where the soldered joint on the LT coil to the green wire cannot come very close to, or contact, the flywheel.
Agree with Mr Pickering about why the fault may occur when warm. Things expand when warm so gaps increase or decrease.
The ohm readings of my duff stator were all ok btw, but I must admit I never took a meter to it when the bike had warmed up.

cheers n good luck sorting it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information