Franspeed Race on a standard TS1 225

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Thinking of selling a few bits and bobs and investing in a new exhaust for my rally scoot.

Currently have the old JL3 Taffspeed Road pipe on a standard TS1. Italian Li150 box 16/46. 30mm PHBH. It pulls well throughout the range and copes pretty well with hills and headwinds (it didn't when I had a 17 front sprocket back in 2011). It tops out at under 70 mph though (GPS).

My wish list is for an exhaust that gives me the same performance throughout the range as the JL3, but revs on a bit more and gives, say, another 5 mph top speed. I don't want to lose the bottom end and have it a rubbish ride in traffic.

Will the Franspeed Raced tick these boxes?
WINTERMODEL150
Main scooter: lambretta ld auto

Buy a franspeed race pipe you'll never look back! !!

Dean
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

I'm currently on the same crusade and currently have no seat or exhaust having sold them to fund a new pipe lol..I would love the avanti franspeed but current funds have me to 2nd hand franspeed or saigon taffy copy :grin: the latter being likely at this point but the franspeed race has come out top on all Dan's dyno runs thus far.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
roadrunnerian

change to a franspeed race i had a jl3 put a race on big grin on my face and more top end.
soulsurfer

...although, the downpipe will bottom out and put a big dent in it, or it may crack or require welding properly, other than that they're fine & perform well ;-)
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
Muttley McLadd

storkfoot wrote: Currently have the old JL3 Taffspeed Road pipe on a standard TS1. Italian Li150 box 16/46. 30mm PHBH. It pulls well throughout the range and copes pretty well with hills and headwinds (it didn't when I had a 17 front sprocket back in 2011). It tops out at under 70 mph though (GPS).
Is there something wrong with it? My GT185 goes faster than that with a clubman on it.

Would it be worth, rather than spending the money on a pipe, getting someone to port the barrel a bit so it'll pull the 17t primary?
CakeAndArseParty
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Cylinder head is to be reprofiled as, shall we say, squish is a bit variable. Other than that and a few dents in a 20 year old exhaust not too much wrong with it. So, despite the Fran speed race being based on the jl4 I will get the same bottom end performance as a jl3?? Before I sell the family silver to get one is this really the case?
nelson pk

I've no experience with the Franspeed race but i understand that they are a very good pipe however your question is will it peform as good lower down in the rev range as a JL3 and i would say highly unlikely. It may well be the best out the race pipes for performance at lower revs but performing just the same as a JL3 or taffspeed at lower revs.......very doubtful as this would be the holy grail of 2 stroke exhausts (great torque at low revs and revving on to 8500/9000rpm).
If you want more top speed, yes, you will need a race style pipe but you will have to drop your gearing to pull against headwinds and up hill as well as your JL3 does but you will get a much higher top speed however you will put more wear on the engine as it will be running at higher revs to achieve this.
If you have a JL3 and you change to a race pipe or mid range pipe and it pulls just as well lower down as the JL3 does then its likely that you didn't have your gearing set to the optimum to get the best out of your JL3 but getting the 'optimum' gearing probably means swapping gearboxes around as well as front and rear sprockets.
twenty eight

soulsurfer wrote:...although, the downpipe will bottom out and put a big dent in it, or it may crack or require welding properly, other than that they're fine & perform well ;-)
agree downpipe bottoms out mine is dented and scratched but,but buy one the perform very well,have a tuned ts1 copes ok at 30 in 4th and pulls well big grin in 3rd above 5000 revs
ANDY FRANCIS
Dealer
Main scooter: LAMBRETTA GP

Soulsurfer! Show me an exhaust that you can hit something with and not crack? 100's of my exhausts that have been fitted correctly do not crack. We supply and fit exhausts every day. If you have a problem with yours (I recall you buying one a couple of years ago) it's news to me, as you have never contacted me about this. Please give me a call and lets see if I can help you. I don't see how you can be negative about my product on the internet without informing me of the problem, thus giving me the opportunity to either solve your problem or replace your exhaust. Andy Francis
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information