Cyclone 5 speed fitting problems

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
twenty eight

fitted my gearbox biggest problem was the when I fitted the end plate the clutch basket would not turn, off and on no better found the locating pegs were not sitting right sorted this and all turned freely,agree with tom the first gear is close to the end plate,i have had the problem with the kickstart shaft grinding on first gear fitted a new indian shaft(by chance this was 1mm shorter and worked spot on) did fit two gaskets,just got back from a good blast most happy goes through the gears without no dip in revs the clutch still needs adjusting and I am still not getting in fifth slipped a few times,overall I would recommend one
Tom Russell

Thanks for everyones help with this!

Tried lots of different things to sort this, and even considered (as per previous post) splashing out on a Casa kickstart shaft.

In the end (after advice from Stuart Owen) we ended up cutting off the GP ramp on the endplate (which had already been shimmed) and fitting an LI type ramp to the cover (which we obviously had to drill and tap). Good thing is, we were able to use the original Indian kickstart components (ie. shaft, plunger, pin etc.).

This worked a treat, as once assembled, you can see the kickstart teeth are fully retracted in the cover, before assembly.

Also, as mentioned in a previous post, I was worried about how close the 1st gear kickstart teeth ran to the back of the endplate so, as a precautionary measure, we ground a grove in this, to make sure we had plenty of clearance.

Stuart did mentioned another method to sort this kickstart rubbing problem, was to put a blob of weld on the pin, to englarge and oval it at the point it engages with the ramp, so that it would draw back the plunger further. He did mention that maybe Casa might in future provide an oversized ovaled pin.

Cheers :)
hungdog

Heard that the second batch has been recalled due to a problem with the xmas tree gear cluster , the tolerances are out allowing the gears to spin on the tree. :oops:
Tom Russell

hungdog wrote:Heard that the second batch has been recalled due to a problem with the xmas tree gear cluster , the tolerances are out allowing the gears to spin on the tree. :oops:
Yeah, I heard some "rumours" about spinning gears, but only know of it actually happening on a 35+ bhp Group 6 engine (which was probably expected).

This gearbox that I ordered for my mate was second batch, and it hasn't been recalled.

In any event, to date, no one has posted on here, or LCGB, about actually experiencing this "spinning gear" problem, so hopefully it's just a rumour?! ;)
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

No issues with any of the 2nd batch that I know people to be running in road motors. Indeed, I don't know of any problems with any of the gearboxes in any motors!

Adam
Tom Russell

Adam_Winstone wrote:No issues with any of the 2nd batch that I know people to be running in road motors. Indeed, I don't know of any problems with any of the gearboxes in any motors!

Adam
Thanks for posting that Adam, that's reassuring to here! :)
hungdog

I know of at least one where this is the case and rimini have been informed.
purple_pill67
Main scooter: Jet200

hungdog wrote:Heard that the second batch has been recalled due to a problem with the xmas tree gear cluster , the tolerances are out allowing the gears to spin on the tree. :oops:
A mate here in Glos has one that has the spinning gears problem, IIRC he was offered a modified one or wait for a new batch, think he chose to wait.
And its going on a newly built smallblock Mugello.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

hungdog wrote:I know of at least one where this is the case and rimini have been informed.

Any idea if this is the race motor case that we've now heard of?

Providing that we don't suddenly start hearing of lots of other similar cases then I'm not too concerned. Actually, I'd rather that we learn as much as we can about a product, rather than trying to 'sweep failure issues under the carpet', as with a number of other cranks and kits that we've never heard of. I can think of a couple of products that I know have had failure issues but that have been hushed up :evil:

It must be recognized that all production runs will have a failure quota but the hope is that these are winkled out by quality control and don't make their way to market. From what I've seen/experienced to date, I appreciate what a quality product these gearboxes are, with every effort being made to ensure that we get the best available (better than ever available previously). To my knowledge there isn't a 'batch' issue here but rumour of a single failure in a race motor, which might have highlighted the BHP/rev limit that these can cope with. If so, I'm happy to be slightly better informed.

I hope that this is just a case of rumours, which Dean would be well advised to quash with a statement, which every product has to deal with. However, if there is any sort of 'issue' then I'm sure that Dean will not bury his head in the sand, as with other product failures (a make of tyres springs to mind) that are currently being avoided.

To date I have ZERO first-hand experence/knowledge of any Cyclone failures but, as with any issue, will keep an open ear to what is being said. For those that do post info of failures, any details/specifics would be useful (e.g. what sort of motor, power, ability of person that fitted it [stated as a joke but thinking about it, this does actually make quite a difference as you'll probably get some nugget fit gears completely wrong or with shimming that allows adjacent cogs to clash, resulting in damage and a claim for a replacement box!], etc.).

Watching with an open mind/ear and happily riding around on my Cyclone kitted Mugello 260cc :)

Adam
joespeed

i t

i would have thought that the gears were at least keyed onto the shaft and not just pressed and glued on,especially as the technology is getting better in terms of hp!

i even sugguested that the shaft be splined then the gears could be interchanged if a tooth gets broken or a ratio change!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information