Cyclone 5 speed fitting problems

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Any of the above can happen with a four speed box and the wrong combination of parts...if that helps...
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
speedball
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta

Hi, thanks to Adam for pointing out some things that might help if anyone is having fitment issues. As he said, we are busy updating both the website and the Cyclone booklet with a section that covers some of the points brought to our attention during the release of the 1st batch onto the market. Generally fitment is a doddle and most problems have come up due to the use of sub-standard pattern / vrs. Indian parts. Most Innocenti / Serveta and SIL parts work fine.

The most likely problem has been with pattern / worn kickstart shafts, where the small sliding plunger piston is too close to the 1st gear teeth. A lot of pattern (Indian & Italian) kickstart shafts also have the actual grooved splines for the kickstart lever slightly off-set, which means the afore-mentioned plunger piston doesn't return fully seated home, with the same consequences of the teeth coming into contact with the 1st gear. This is especially evident when these 'off-set' shafts are used in conjunction with original kickstart levers and / or GP type gearbox endplates with the built in ramp. Even the new shafts MecEur were selling, right up to their closure, were like this and pretty much useless. Casa Lambretta has just sorted this age old problem out and the shafts are now the correct length(s) and the kickstart lever splines are in the correct place. These shafts will cure 99.9% of any issues where the kickstart piston touches the 1st gear face. Sorted. Stuart Owen @ 100MPH is the chap to speak to in the UK and has replies for most questions. If anyone wants a copy of the new assembly hints & trouble shooting section that we're going to publish, just mail me at the shop and I'll happily forward a copy by return.

Cheers, Dean.
jonashford
Main scooter: Lambretta SX RB235

I think Ive sorted mine just by swapping to a different kick start shaft
Tom Russell

Got same problem with my mates (Indian engine/shaft etc.) - kickstart rubbing on 1st gear :(

I know it's a bit of a bodge, but is it feasable to fit 4/5 chaincase gaskets to move the cover/kickstart away and stop the rubbing, or would these numerous gaskets be a weak point in themselves, and possibly leak over time??

To be honest, once we've got the cover off again, we'll probably just hunt around for an Italian kickstart shaft, or buy a Casa one, but just wondered what everyones thoughts were on this 4/5 gasket (assuming this cures the problem) method??

Cheers :)
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Hi Tom,

Swapping out the shaft may or may not help as it all depends on the spec of the replacement, with not all Italian ones resolving the problem.

I cured mine by going through a selection of spares and finding a kickstart piston that had the threaded hole in a better position, which pulled the piston back further into the shaft. However, I was quite prepared to fit multiple gaskets to space the side casing away. There are thicker gaskets available from various sources too... worth considering.

Best of luck.

Adam
Tom Russell

Adam_Winstone wrote:Hi Tom,

Swapping out the shaft may or may not help as it all depends on the spec of the replacement, with not all Italian ones resolving the problem.

I cured mine by going through a selection of spares and finding a kickstart piston that had the threaded hole in a better position, which pulled the piston back further into the shaft. However, I was quite prepared to fit multiple gaskets to space the side casing away. There are thicker gaskets available from various sources too... worth considering.

Best of luck.

Adam
Thanks Adam, much appreciated!

Cheers, Tom :)
jimmers

jonashford wrote:I'm having a problem with the Kickstart plunger!!! It catches on the first gear, I'm going to rethink what I was going to do cos I dont think that will work! lol
I dont want to add extra gaskets to the crank case side so ill either extend the ramp or do something else

had same problem and didnt want to fit thick gaskets on casecase
so i cut gp ramp off and fitted li ramp, gave the extra distance req'd easily
Tom Russell

jimmers wrote:
jonashford wrote:I'm having a problem with the Kickstart plunger!!! It catches on the first gear, I'm going to rethink what I was going to do cos I dont think that will work! lol
I dont want to add extra gaskets to the crank case side so ill either extend the ramp or do something else

had same problem and didnt want to fit thick gaskets on casecase
so i cut gp ramp off and fitted li ramp, gave the extra distance req'd easily
That's another good option, thanks mate :)
Cutdown69

I had same problem, and tried with thicker gasket...still rubbing. To be honest, the kickstart circlip was located in the wrong place so shaft was too far forward. I still bit the bullet & shelled out on a new casa kickstart....problem solved thank god
Tom Russell

Cutdown69 wrote:I had same problem, and tried with thicker gasket...still rubbing. To be honest, the kickstart circlip was located in the wrong place so shaft was too far forward. I still bit the bullet & shelled out on a new casa kickstart....problem solved thank god
Tried another kickstart shaft (admittedly Indian) pulled in nice and forward etc. in chaincase cover, and an additional chaincase gasket (so think that's 3 or 4 so far :lol: ) yesterday, and I can still hear it whirring/rubbing! :cry:

So, we're also gonna buy a new Casa kickstart and plunger etc., and if that doesn't solve our problem, then ............................ :roll:

To be honest, I wish I'd checked all this on the bench - though it doesn't mention any way of doing this in the instructions - but I reckon with gearbox shimmed and installed, some tippex or similar on a few of the first gear kickstart teeth, fit chaincase cover with kickstart mechanism installed (but leave out drive chain, clutch etc.), select 1st gear and (slowly) turnover with impact driver or similar on rear hub hut, you should be able to hear if it's rubbing (and in any event you can check if tippex marks have rubbed off) - what do you reckon??? :? There's probably a much easier way!? :lol:

Ps. one thing I did notice when looking at the first gear kickstart teeth yesterday, is how close they run to the back of the endplate - almost too close!! :o
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information