Standard stainless exhaust

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Bertone33
Main scooter: Li special 125

Im thinking of making a S3 stainless exhaust. And may need some advice. Any one well up on exhausts? ??

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
LI150
Main scooter: Series 2 LI150

Dont know anything about exhausts but do know stainless is a pain as in my experiance it always cracks
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

Bertone33 wrote:Im thinking of making a S3 stainless exhaust. And may need some advice. Any one well up on exhausts? ??

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
there's a guy that posts on here sometimes does a load of stainless exhaust stuff.

Randall I think his name is :fb:
Donnie.
RICSPEED

stainless and exhaust dont mix .. ok perhaps on a bike ..

stainless is a very hard metal so prone to spliting as said above .. then you need some one with a tig welder to repair it
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
Bertone33

All depends on the grade of s/steel used. Im a welder so have all the gear but no idea........about exhaust techy stuff...thanks for the comments though.

Sent from my MB860
RManson
Main scooter: Jet 200

Stainless steel would be my material of choice if I were to build a pipe from scratch. A polished stainless pipe would look great or even left raw would look loads better than a mild steel exhaust painted matte black that looked like it'd been left in a BBQ.

Wonder why the stainless stuff on the market is failing? Could be improper manufacturing techniques? I built a stainless exhaust for my truck and it's fine three years on, daily driven. Granted it doesn't vibrate as much as a motorcycle exhaust but it still hangs, rattles, gets hot, and all that without cracking or splitting.

I had an SIP stainless expansion chamber about 15 years ago and it was bitchin'. Never cracked or split and it was welded together from two dozen different pieces...

-Ryan
Bertone33

Wow. A positive reply Haha thanks....I've repaired a couple of stainless pipes over the years and all the splits and cracks have been on or around the weld area as you would expect.
In all cases the welding was of a pretty poor standard, not a single weld had been back purged and had minimal penetration, which frustrates me, hence the decision to make my own...... ill post a couple of pics of stuff I've worked on for my nephews car using bits of scrap and dairy pipe fittings.

Sent from my MB860
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

I thought it was a well known fact that ss exhausts and 2 strokes didn't mix?
Donnie.
Bertone33

Then I've got a bit of a challenge on my hands Donnie..!!!
Its worth a go though, isn't it?

Sent from my MB860
RManson
Main scooter: Jet 200

"...not a single weld had been back purged and had minimal penetration,..."

I think you probably hit the nail on the head in regards to why the majority of stainless exhausts fail. I just don't see why it can't be done if done properly.

I say go for it, post your results, and then we'll all know one way or the other.

-Ryan
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information