Doing the shimmy!!!

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Wee Mark
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

Evening gents, i,m having a evil time trying to Shim my gear box on my TS1 build......set up is Brand new Indian GP gearbox with MB Racetour Layshaft, new rear hub bearing(as well as all other bearings)......its all in a Servetta case with an Italian LI end plate(not got the original)......i,m down to a 1.81 Size shim and still when i torque down the endplate the box will not turn never mind shim-up ...i rang MB and they sold me a Hub spacer which i used.(been using hub to torqe down layshaft) and a couple of shims that you can put Hub bearing end of Layshaft???......baffled please any advice/help would be great....
Cheers
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

You answered your own question.

If you have a shim or two between the layshaft and the rear main bearing you are reducing your main shim clearance down below the thinnest aviable shim. Think about it, you are making the length of the layshaft longer by adding shims. The only reason to ever add one there would be to adjust for a funky rear bearing, modified endplate or poor quality layshaft.

Yes, it has to come all apart to correct that.
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I read it as he's gone down to a 1.8 mm layshaft / end plate shim and it's still too tight.
I'm not sure if anyone does any thinner shims.
Grumpy225

Wee Mark wrote:...and a couple of shims that you can put Hub bearing end of Layshaft???

This is what got me thinking the is an extra shim where it shouldn't be. Maybe I read it wrong ,it was late.

I'm curious to know if the loose gears sit excessively high on the layshaft when assembled. That would tell you if the layshaft was cut wrong (doubtful).
RICSPEED

Wee Mark wrote: new rear hub bearing
this part can often cause problems as the new ones (depending on manufacturer) can sit a little too high
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

stik ya origial end plate back on and start agin,

muppet,
C’est la vie
Wee Mark

SORRY....for late reply!!!.....i managed to get it shimmed up with am MB undersized shim 1.70 with no use for the hub end shims (of course as said these would have opposite effect).... for information both Cam Lam & Beedspeed have even thinner shims
Grumpy225

Wee Mark wrote:SORRY....for late reply!!!.....i managed to get it shimmed up with am MB undersized shim 1.70 with no use for the hub end shims (of course as said these would have opposite effect).... for information both Cam Lam & Beedspeed have even thinner shims

Good to know about the thinner shims being aviable. I've always run it to needing super thick ones or .05 difrence but never super thin ones.

Out of currisioty where did you end up with the clearence in the gearbox?
Wee Mark

Hello Grumpy, it shimmed at the smallest clearance acceptable 0.07mm which i was pleased about as it will mean that it has plenty of wear margin and i will be running in the whole engine as its brand new componants all the way through. The box spins in all gears with a little resistance.....oh by the way the MB shim was just under 1.70 as they etch them this was marked 1.68, hope this helps, good luck with any further shimming you has to do.....stick with it!!!

all the best

Mark
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information