Balls, how big?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Ihateyoubutler

Just stripped the forks out of my series 2, having previously noticed how smooth the forks turned. Turns out the top steering bearings were loose fitted, ie with no cage.
Anyone know what size bearings I need to order and maybe how many? as most of them went all over the floor :| Know I could just order a few top (caged) races but I'd like to fit some quality balls.
Thanks.
Muttlyoo7
Main scooter: Gp200

Using loose bearings is an old racing trick and does improve the steering action. It's tricky to keep the bearings in place when you install them without a cage, however thick grease will help hold them in place. I'd use the bearings out of a couple of head races. I can't remember the actual number you'll need, but it's easy to see when you have enough. There isn't space to fit any more.
Last edited by Muttlyoo7 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
RICSPEED

two of each should be enough if you intend to do same for bottom race
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
blue

You can buy a bag of loose bearings from most push bike shops just take one along to compare, save yourself some money.
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

3mm on the top
6[?] on the bottom
for the cost, I'd just get two sets and take the balls out...
do leave a little space for the loose balls to rotate though, more important on the bottom
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information