Lambretta speedo Issues

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
watto66

Hello All , Apologies if this has been done to death i couldnt find any info' on this.

I have to run in a new kit in soon (GT 186 ) and my speedo on my LI Special is dreadful just wont work properly usual windscreen wiper effect i was wondering if anybody could give me some advice ? ie would i be better off -

Buying a new speedo , ie what is the best quality one should i go for loads on the net , E -bay etc ? ,

Should i change the drive and the worm fitting in the hub to one of the metal types again advertised by some dealers ? ,

Hold out and buy one of the new SIP digital ones ( loads of info on here )
pay for a shop to fit one of these , im not that confident about fitting one of these to be honest !.

Try a new cable even ?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated again sorry if its been done to death on the forum.

Cheers.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

depends what you want to do really.

I bought a real cheap speedo from CamLam as my Silver Special had a KPH one. Whilst the original speedo worked well, I preferred one in MPH cos I'm paranoid about getting any more speeding tickets (yeah I know- speeding on a Lambretta.....yeah right...)

Anyway, the CamLam one is spot on for looks and is also extremely accurate (checked against a Sat Nav).. Alternatively let Jem Booth work his magic on the old unit (assuming its an original one- don't think he touches repro ones) Or, firstly, try a new cable (get the correct one for your clock- small or larger square end on cable?)

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

Good quality worm drive and cable then ( someone posted this a while back) and it worked a treat on mine which now does not do the usual rev counter act, pack grease into the worm drive, then in the cable end to speedo and inside the housing in the speedo..but not lots..I did this last bit a while ago and like I said it did work for me..I also use the MBD metal worm drive which has been faultless.
Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
Boothy_the_makem
Playstation gamer tag: Phantomkiller_uk
Main scooter: modded t5 classic wi a parker

I fitted the broady metal worm one and a cheap sundarscoots sx speedo to my special also changed the gp one from li kph to gp speedo. They work fine although the sx speedo had no earth connection inside from cable to bulb ???

And a mate fitted one to his li chrome ring and having done more miles than me says its now window wiping :(

Think they sell speedos on here cheap

And apparently muttley mcladd wears em :D
Canny lass, Geordie girl, he gave her pints and fags and grub and shorts. Canny lass, Geordie girl, she gave him earache and penal warts,Penal warts.
nellyboyo
Main scooter: Lambretta

I`ve fitted a cheap sundarscoots one and its really accurate according to the missus who clocked me from the car.
No earth is annoying though so I solderd one on the other day
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Some cheap ones are truly nasty and won't even fit in the headset. I bought an excellent speedo from Readspeed some years ago. The bowl crumbled away to nothing and the internal mechanism was plastic. As it had been so reliable I fitted it in an original bowl and it's the best damn speedo I've ever had. It's as steady as a rock. It really is a lottery where speedo's are concerned. I don't know where they get theirs but they are head and shoulders above the others.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

SIP digital is the future... :lol:
Boothy_the_makem
Playstation gamer tag: Phantomkiller_uk
Main scooter: modded t5 classic wi a parker

Doom Patrol wrote:Some cheap ones are truly nasty and won't even fit in the headset. I bought an excellent speedo from Readspeed some years ago. The bowl crumbled away to nothing and the internal mechanism was plastic. As it had been so reliable I fitted it in an original bowl and it's the best damn speedo I've ever had. It's as steady as a rock. It really is a lottery where speedo's are concerned. I don't know where they get theirs but they are head and shoulders above the others.

Yeah forgot to mention these were a crap fit so had to take the seal off around lense and base and fettle the edges down
Canny lass, Geordie girl, he gave her pints and fags and grub and shorts. Canny lass, Geordie girl, she gave him earache and penal warts,Penal warts.
Muttlyoo7
Main scooter: Gp200

Timbo wrote:SIP digital is the future... :lol:
If originality isn't important to you. I'd agree! :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information