Engine build spec advice please

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
coaster

Hi, looking for suggestions for a TS1 I am about to start building to replace the 186 muggy in my other scoot. I am trying to use parts I already have but am not averse to buying whatever is needed if necessary.

The casing is an Indian GP 150 which is with CS Engineering at the moment for conversion to take a large block.
I have purchased a new C Grade TS1 cylinder as I already had a new C Grade Mikita TS1 piston left over from a previous project as well as an AF Rayspeed TS1 head (would a center squish head be better?)

I want to keep the scoot looking as standard as possible and have a 30mm BGM PWK on an LTH manifold which I’m hoping will allow the use of a filter under the panels. I’m also thinking of using a box pipe, either the MB one or more likely one of Ron’s when they’re ready.

I already have an Avanti TT3 in my Jet which is my rally going scoot and I’m very happy with its performance, so with the TS1 I would be looking for a bit more performance with the ability to pull 2 people (around 21 stone combined) where necessary. Gearing available is Li150 with whatever sprockets required although I'd be more than happy to purchase something else if needed.

Crank wise I have a very low mileage MecEur Race 58/107 Crank but also have an Indian GP200 crank with a bent rod. I’m thinking of getting one of the cranks split and a 110 or 115 rod fitted but apart from smoother running, what advantages would that have over using the MecEur as is, i.e. would it be advisable to get the port timings adjusted to tame the performance a bit (not too much)?

Any opinions gratefully received 8-)

Cheers Colin
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Would have thought a box pipe would kill the TS1, mate. Unless, these new box pipes really are expansions in disguise :?: .

Crank- I'm not sure you'd notice a massive difference in smoothness but the 110 Kawasaki rod on mine has provided a smooth ride for the last couple of years I've had it on the road. The 110 rod allows you to mess with the timings without messing with the barrel so that's a plus for someone who likes to fiddle ;)

I know you like the Agusto. I would have thought that the Agusto would smooth out the low down running so you wouldn't need to try and "tame" it. Mine's set at 17 or 18 static and is a bit burbly stuck in traffic but it's OK (PHBH 30).

Gearbox - my TS1 is just standard with an Li150 box. It wouldn't successfully pull 46/17. 46/16 is good for me but I'm happy riding under 70 :D

Cylinder head - mine's the AF one and has been for the last 2 years. The head has more fins that the Indian standard machined one, and the Scoot runs well. But the squish measurements are a bit all over the place. I seem to remember having 4 different measurements across the crown :shock:
coaster

Chears Paul, I didn't realise you had the 110 rod on your TSI was that done at the engineers youv'e mentioned before in Liverpool? Re my fiddling tendancies, yes I was wondering about the potential for lowering the timings a bit but I guess that will mean getting the head machined....mind you that should sort out any dodgy squish at the same time.
Angry Bloke

I'm running an Li 150 with 16/47 in mine and its as happy in traffic as it is flying :)
Je fettle - Tu fettle - Il fettle - Nous fettleons - Vous fettlez - Ils fettlent

"Broadsword calling Danny boy ,Broadsword calling Danny boy ,over "
WINTERMODEL150
Main scooter: lambretta ld auto

Hi, I ran my ts1 for about 10 years with 4.4 gearing and a taffy pipe with 21 horse power , just recently I've had the crank out and had a longer Conrod done ,Darrell Taylor has fettled the barrel , 4.9 gearing now with a franspeed pipe and what a transformation the engine is ! But this engine suits my needs but may not suit others it all depends what you're looking for .

Dean
coaster

Angry Bloke wrote:I'm running an Li 150 with 16/47 in mine and its as happy in traffic as it is flying :)
That's about 4.9 Peach?, the same as Wintermodel150 has changed to. What sort of crank are you using and what about Checker's set up?
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Col, yes, Grampians in Crosby. It's a KE175 conrod that fitted straight in the GP200 webs with thrust washers too (0.5mm each side from memory). The KE175 conrod is, apparently, not as strong as the Yamaha ones but if it's strong enough for a KE175, it'll cope with a TS1 surely.

Peachy, what exhaust do you have? I know you don't do hills in Norfolk :D but mine died going up hills with full rally gear with the 17 sprocket__ old Taffy Road pipe (JL3).
Angry Bloke

coaster wrote: That's about 4.9 Peach?, the same as Wintermodel150 has changed to. What sort of crank are you using and what about Checker's set up?
Yes 4.99 ,my crank is a CS Eng/Tidd/Yam Rod combo ,PM exhaust ,TMX 35 :D

Cheggers is using a Jet 200 box and runs well ,also a PM
Je fettle - Tu fettle - Il fettle - Nous fettleons - Vous fettlez - Ils fettlent

"Broadsword calling Danny boy ,Broadsword calling Danny boy ,over "
camel

i reduced the port timings on my ts1 initially and in my series 2 but frankly the bike was boring to ride,i have since put a bigger packer under the barell to get it where it was and done some tuning through advice and specs id got from this site,i run an li 150 box with a 16 front sprocket,a modified std inlet with v force reeds,35mikuni and filter,augsto 7000 and a mild steel dev tour
the bike is lovley to ride and happily sits at 70 when wound up,top speed of well over 80 and is happy around town too
from my experience which im sure people have a lot more than me on here its all about the pipe/gearing with a ts1,get it wrong and your bike will be flat....so choose your pipe wisely
the last pipe shootout in the mag claimed the af rally was the best all rounder,my ads3 on my iron is LOUD and ive heard the af rally is similar as its made by the same people....bit of a shame really
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

Angry Bloke wrote:Cheggers is using a Jet 200 box and runs well ,also a PM
with 15/46 and a VHSA 30. that scooter picks up nicely, and can, and does, get ridden at a reasonable pace for miles at a time, which imo is more important than top speed on a road-going scooter.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information