Lower Chain Guide

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.

Lower Chain guides - do you fit one?

Yes
42%
No
58%

Total votes: 31
paulmgreen
Main scooter: Lambretta Group 4 Race 200

Just been having an interesting conversation of the merits of lower chain guides!

personally, by always using a decent quality chain, with a nylon top chain guide, I just junk the bottom guide and run with out one,.......

interested to know the opinions of others on teh pro's and con's?
YouTuve Vlog channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEhrgL ... vY_4Px2WTg

www.JPPLambretta.co.uk

Sponsors Replay Scooters JPPLambretta
Dazza
Main scooter: S3 LI Rapido 225

After mine ended widing itself round the front sprocket - most definately - NO!
If it aint broke.........tinker with it.....
joespeed

i have noticed that most of the racers i have had the chance to talk with were not running the bottom chain guide,i think that is quite satisfactory on a race bike but on a road bike that is not inspected regularly then i would say no the chain guide must be used,it is not the bottom that gives the trouble as this is the non-drive side,
regards
oe
sean brady scooters
Dealer

bottom chain guards are just a waste of time in my oppinion...............not to mention being a liability.....
just what exactly are the MERITS for their use.....................................?
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

joespeed wrote:.......it is not the bottom that gives the trouble as this is the non-drive side.......
Did you miss the image in the above post? :D :lol: :lol:
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
sean brady scooters
Dealer

i would consider the lower chain side to be the DRIVE side..............due to the rotation of a lambo motor............surely...........
this is always the tightest under acceleration ..........cos this is where the front sprocket pulls on the rear........
joespeed

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:
joespeed wrote:.......it is not the bottom that gives the trouble as this is the non-drive side.......
Did you miss the image in the above post? :D :lol: :lol:
no i saw the post dan,i have never had a bottom fail ,lots of tops,why do you think all the top tuners and scooter shops had the top made in alloy and nylon liners or even polyplenco!,
if you dont mind when the chain has stretched and rubbed grooves in the case then you will have saved a bit of weight by throwing it out!
good economics i suppose!
regards
joe
joespeed

sean,maybe i have got it wrong,the lambretta engine must run anti-clockwise when viewed from the driveside sprocket,
regards
joe
tony
Main scooter: 90ss

it does, so it makes sense to fit tensioner to the non-drive side.. ie the top. If the chain fit is correct I cant see the need for a bottom guide.
Sponsors: Performance Tuning. Ve Uk. Scooter Center Koln. LTH . DRT
sean brady scooters
Dealer

the top chain guide is the only one with elongated slots............these are adjusted up to allow for the wear/stretch in a chain............
eventually .....of course at the end of its adj.......a really badly stretched chain will then catch top of engine casing
this can also happen due to various bad choices of sprocket/chain combos........
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information