Another Dead Clutch?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
servetakid
Main scooter: Jet 200

Well, me/my scooter has burnt out another clutch. :roll: This is three so far this last year, the first two lasted about 500 miles and the last one has last maybe up to 1500 miles. The clutch i run is a standard four plate clutch with uprated springs and a center small frame spring. Engone spec, Rappido 225, NK rally, 30mmphbh kicking out 18bhp (with a little more to come once i get it on the dyno as the jetting is rich). Its on SX200 gearing, which probably doesnt help too much.

My questions is, do i carry on with the four plate clutches? Or do i upgrade to something more beafy? If so what would you go for, AF Cassette clutch? Rocho? etc etc.. I really do like to thrash the scoter when out and about :P
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

more clutch=more surface area= more friction grip+ more plates to spred the heat when ya pull yer clutch in; buy once get de best ya spondoolas will getchya; strong springs mite help but its a sticking paster if the plates arnt up to the job,
muppet,
C’est la vie
jonashford
Main scooter: Lambretta SX RB235

get an AF clutch
servetakid

After looking at he prices of these clutches again, I doubt I can really afford them. The gave up going through York stuck in a traffic jam and the cable adjustment went. Causing some bad ckut h drag, I reckon this killed it off.

So I'm thinking the four plate was good enough. So I'm after some ideas to make life on the clutch easier, who makes the best springs? And would a gearbox with a taller sprocket make a massive difference to clutch life?

Thanks once again.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

The following works for me on a standard TS1 225, Li150 box 46 (machined for 5 plate) /16:

Surflex 5 plates (green)
Rock Oil Light Gear oil
MB stiffened springs with PX200 springs over.

Springs were hard work for a couple of months but then eased up and I now like the firm deliberate action of the gearchange. As usual with a clutch you do have to check the operation and separation of the plates.

Anyway, this worked for me when my Surflex 4 plate couldn't cope and I didn't have to spend a king's ransom either. Good luck, and let us know how you get on ;)
coaster

The clutch in my Avanti is based on a mixture of thin clutch linings and steels and standard ones. i mixed and matched following advice on here in order to get 1.5mm clearance between the top plate and first friction disc with the clutch fulled compressed with the clutch compressor. It used standard basket and bell and a set of MB springs. Very light clutch action and no slip or drag after about 1000 miles.
The mixing and matching took a couple of hours, must have dismantled it about 15 to 20 times before it was right but well worth the effort 8-)
Craig H
Xbox live gamer tag: GI TROOPER
Main scooter: Lambretta GP Imola 186

You could get the Rocho68 clutch it uses Yamaha plates and come in 5-6 plate versions and cope on my imola also good price about £180 with exchange crown wheel when I got mine so may have changed.
coaster

coaster wrote:The clutch in my Avanti is based on a mixture of thin clutch linings and steels and standard ones. i mixed and matched following advice on here in order to get 1.5mm clearance between the top plate and first friction disc with the clutch fulled compressed with the clutch compressor. It used standard basket and bell and a set of MB springs. Very light clutch action and no slip or drag after about 1000 miles.
The mixing and matching took a couple of hours, must have dismantled it about 15 to 20 times before it was right but well worth the effort 8-)
Forgot to mention the thin plates were from a Camlam, budget 5 plate kit, about £50 althoug you can also buy them seperately 8-)
Beanhead
Main scooter: 1970 Lambretta gp

jonashford wrote:get an AF clutch

gotta agree! got the cheaper one in my engine, kicked its head in at elvington with 20 runs up the strip, no problem at all, light good feeling clutch, mines the cheaper one btw
Facebook - Lee Bardsley

Vesperados S.C

Sent from my PC using My Fingers
servetakid

coaster wrote:
coaster wrote:The clutch in my Avanti is based on a mixture of thin clutch linings and steels and standard ones. i mixed and matched following advice on here in order to get 1.5mm clearance between the top plate and first friction disc with the clutch fulled compressed with the clutch compressor. It used standard basket and bell and a set of MB springs. Very light clutch action and no slip or drag after about 1000 miles.
Forgot to mention the thin plates were from a Camlam, budget 5 plate kit, about £50 althoug you can also buy them seperately 8-)
I may look into that, cheers. Thats more my kind of budget lol
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information