Taffspeed exhaust vs copy

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
deany

Hi all, has anyone got both the original taffspeed pipe and compared it to a copied one?

Or... How long are the copied ones lasting?

I've never really seen many copies in the flesh so would appreciate some feedback before I fit one to one of my scoots. Thanks.
simonwwfc

Only difference is rear support bracket for end can . Plus end can is not stamped Taffspeed , poss exhaust sits up a little higher at rear as well
phil23fair
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 250 Special

I've got taffy copy pipes on a TS1 and a rapido 250 both tuned by Harry Barlow. The TS1 was dyno'd at 23 bhp and 22 ft lb torque. I haven't had the 250 dyno'd yet but it is quick and I can take most hills quite comfortably in 4th. The build quality seems OK and they both fit quite well. They have been on my scooters for over 2 years now. One is stainless and looks like new. The other is mild steel and apart from a loss of paint where the stand was rubbing also looks OK. I'm building anotber scoot and will buy a taffy copy for that. IMO they are good value for money with good performance.
deany

Thanks guys... Anybody else got one of each?
DigDug
Main scooter: Lambretta

deany wrote:Thanks guys... Anybody else got one of each?
I've got the real thing... 8-)
Did you have to do that?
simonwwfc

Yes but paid a lot of money lol
DigDug
Main scooter: Lambretta

simonwwfc wrote:Yes but paid a lot of money lol
Not too much Taffspeed tuned my Imola at the same time. :D
Did you have to do that?
gaz_powell

i`ve got 3 all on TS1`s

2x SS and 1x MS chromed

I bought the MS about 7 years ago when i built the TS1 (they did nt do SS at the time) it was one of the first batch made - its done loads of miles - no issues with metal work at all including the bracket - the muffler split after 3 years and SSC replaced it no question - the rubbers need replaceing on the main chain case so i rang SSC up and they sent 6 FOC !!! Muffler has been packed a couple of times.
this one cost less than £100 delivered as the exchange rate was good at the time - best £100 ive spent lambretta related

On the strength of that I replaced a fresco on the SX with the SS one - plenty doom merchants saying SS no good, it`ll crack etc - neither have needed any welding in contrast to friends JL`s, Scorpion and DevTour ! (mind i cant speak for how friends have fitted their pipes)

Then replaced a PM with a SS on the other bike

I run indian GP200 box 19/46 sprockets and it pulls 4 brilliant from 30mph upwards

I wouldnt use anything else - new TS will have another SS one on

I also fitted a SS one to a mates TS engine i built - again no problems

gaz
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information