2 stroke oil (again

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

:roll: Just had a new wilkinsons open up in town and remembered that they sell 2 stroke oil. Popped in to check and they have 600ml bottles for £3.00. No 1L bottles in stock (£5.00) Is it any good?? Not a highly tuned motor in me scoot.
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
clockwork
Main scooter: gp 150 tuned

dapper wrote::roll: Just had a new wilkinsons open up in town and remembered that they sell 2 stroke oil. Popped in to check and they have 600ml bottles for £3.00. No 1L bottles in stock (£5.00) Is it any good?? Not a highly tuned motor in me scoot.
Depends on what make if you love your scoot but the beat in
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

clockwork wrote:
dapper wrote::roll: Just had a new wilkinsons open up in town and remembered that they sell 2 stroke oil. Popped in to check and they have 600ml bottles for £3.00. No 1L bottles in stock (£5.00) Is it any good?? Not a highly tuned motor in me scoot.
Depends on what make if you love your scoot but the beat in
don't you just love predictive text!!
Scootering since 1968.
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

With modern petrol being so fecking rubbish I (IMO) would put in a good quality oil
Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
Andy Pickering

eden wrote:is quality always reflected in price? ;)
I know were your coming from Eden :D But im quite sure Rock oil invest a few more quid in their products than Wilkos do in their 2 stroke oil :lol:, no disrespect to Wilkos of course they do some cracking deals on strawberry bubble bath :shock:

:mrgreen:
gaz_powell

wilko are only buying in oil from a producer they arent making it (like many others Carlube/comma etc) - all oil is made to specification some will be at the lower end and some at the upper - check the spec that the starting point and compare it to other known brands.

it may well be okay to use

look at what Lubetech currently offer - their semi and fully synthetic is comparible to the known brands at a fraction of the cost - plenty on here using it with success
Andy Pickering

wilko are only buying in oil from a producer
I know im just taking the p1ss :lol:, my point is the lower end of the market, Wilkos been just that.. :D
warts
Main scooter: honda

Comma is part of Esso.
Andy Pickering

warts wrote:Comma is part of Esso.
But which part Warts ??, the part that doesnt make it into the esso bottle :?:, I used to work next door to Aunt Bessies..the mis shapes were packed as Sainsburys budget range :?
warts
Main scooter: honda

The part that doesn't use the expensive additives. There isn't much to choose between base stock. Oil companies buy and sell both crude and refined products all the time between themselves and to third parties. There are 5 major players in the additive business and they all sell to all the producers, whatever is expedient, ie nearest or cheapest. You never know who actually made the stuff in the bottle you buy, because it could be be any of them.
Comma is a brand apart to differentiate differing market sectors, just like audi and skoda, similar(ish) stuff but different packaging and advertising budgets, perhaps slightly older technology - who knows? I'm not claiming its fantastic or rubbish, but I suspect it is less different than they would like us to believe.
I spent a day at Silkolene once, and the thing the technical director kept repeating was "oil is oil" they were showing the recycling they once did for big fleets like London Transport. As the oil is used it doesn't "wear out", its lubricity doesn't alter, it actually improves slightly as the lighter fractions evaporate away, leaving a more stable base. The end of life came when the oil was full of stuff that wasn't conducive to the continued health of the engine. So they stripped out the old depleted additive package and of course the sh1t that accumulates from blowby, condensation, acidic combustion and wear products. Top it up with new additives and away you go. All backed up by meticulous record keeping by the various fleet managers, it works, does what it says on the tin.
Apart from some catastrophic failure at the refinery the "oil" will be the same, only the additives change between brands and grades. Synthetic is a slightly special case, it is more like Silkolene's multi use recycled oil, its raison d'etre is to make a more stable and consistent base to work from. And give the advertising machine product differentiation.
My ex used to pop in to united biscuits in Ashby, 5lb box for £2, tasted the same in yer gob. We all say we like our food to taste like it used to, but then go to the supermaket and buy blister packs of tasteless varieties of fruit. Because like the oil we are supposed to be discussing, we are swayed by the marketing men (and women) into believing glib words and slick packaging is what matters
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information