What mph should I expect?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
purple_pill67
Main scooter: Jet200

It is a little rich but not too far out.
I have no idea on what sprockets are in as I havent had the engine apart properly.
coaster

purple_pill67 wrote:It is a little rich but not too far out.
I have no idea on what sprockets are in as I havent had the engine apart properly.
You could work it out by marking one of the flywheel fins and also the rear tyre. Lift the rear wheel off the ground and put it in 4th with the plug removed. No turn the fly wheel by hand and count how many complete and partial turns are needed to rotate the rear wheel once. Any less that 5 will probably point to the problem.
purple_pill67

Cheers...will see if I can have a go at trying that this weekend.
Cos I dont have the space or knowledge to do the work myself I cant see me being able to afford to change the gearbox...sprocket maybe as least the engine doesnt have to come out, just floor board,exhaust,chaincase cover and clutch isnt it? Plus with using the bike for work it has to be done over a weekend.
coaster

Correct, no need to take the engine out, just right hand runner and the exhaust but come back to us with the resilts of your flywheel turning, it will only be a rough measurement but should give us a clue as to the front sprocket on there, it would be a 15 tooth as standard but could very easily have been upped to a 16 which would have the effect of making the gearing too tall for the amount of oomph your kit is putting out, imagine being in too high a gear on a push bike climbing a hill and you'll get the idea 8-)
purple_pill67

Will do cheers.
It came with the sr kit fitted, albeit at 185 instead of 200 so hoping it wasnt too far out
shocky

was the head opened out to suit whats the squish like (last one i did had over 3.2 mm)has the timing been strobbed at 19 deg is the piston in the correct way whats the commpression feel like what other parts have been changed enginewise since the crash have you tried another regulator or cdi unut from a known working scooter ? what about a new plug and ignition lead or even the plug cap try it with the ignition green wire disconected from the cdi unit ,how olds the fuel ? etc etc
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
purple_pill67

shocky wrote:was the head opened out to suit whats the squish like (last one i did had over 3.2 mm)has the timing been strobbed at 19 deg is the piston in the correct way whats the commpression feel like what other parts have been changed enginewise since the crash have you tried another regulator or cdi unut from a known working scooter ? what about a new plug and ignition lead or even the plug cap try it with the ignition green wire disconected from the cdi unit ,how olds the fuel ? etc etc
Hi Steve,
Id only just run in the kit again after going to AF for rebore/new piston 66mm/head redone when I got knocked off.
Sure Jim did the timing to 18 or 19. Nothing else has been changed other than the new carb (phbh30 from a 22 jetex) and new type clubman from that casa twin pipe.
Fitted a new plug (B8ES) the other day and have a new cap (the red NGK one recommended in Sticky book). Fresh fuel with 3% Rock Oil Road Image.
The carb still needs a little tune which JBW said he'll do, but its getting up there.
Its a medium weight flywheel now (2kg instead of 2.7kg) if thats gonna affect it.
crooky
Main scooter: 1960 series 2 li stg 4 175

i fitted an af 175 and was underwhelmed by the mph read a lot of adam Winstone's posts on another forum and when I got it dynoed worked out that I had a 125 box not a 150 as I thought so it was undergeared. I then put a 17s sprocket on and overgeared it a 16s works great and pulls nicely just a matter of matching your gearing and maybe cleaning up your barrell to get a 50-55 cruising speed good luck
The man who doesn't read has no advantage over the man who can't read
purple_pill67

I havent had chance to have a go at the wheel/flywheel trick yet.
Ive got the carb set up right now and it feels better than it was.
I need to have another go with the GPS speedo thing and will see how it goes down to W-S-M if I go on sat.
Changed to the Rock Oil synthesis as thats all that was in stock and he knocked a few quid off for me.
purple_pill67

Ran fine down to w.s.m and back, just over 100 miles. Forgot to turn gps on for speedo :(
Tried it tonight on the s.c. Ride out. Was sitting fine and highest gps speed shown onmy phone was 54 there/53 back. Dont think there was much more to give but it felt comfortable at that.
Ended up with a 130 main jet, forget what the other jet sizes are-just as they came from a.f.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information