GP wont start when hot?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
ove

Hi Lockman,I have the same problem as yourself and yes the petrol off before you stop worked for me me.But I have also since found out i had a small leak in the drive side seal and my piston rings have worn(gap now much too big).I know its a pain in the backside to change these but if it cures the embarrassment :oops: of not starting when hundreds are watching then it`ll be worth it :D .Anways i`ll keep you informed on my progress.
cheers ove.
lockman69

Hi Ove

What other symptoms where you getting, is there any thing in particular that indicates a drive side oil seal failure ?

Cheers

Lockman69
ove

Hi Lockman69,thought i had a air leak as it started to run lean.Wasn`t sure it was from the oil seal as it cut out when i blocked the exhaust,also had it running and drained the oil` revs went up only very slightly.Took it for a long run came home and the usual not starting after 10-15mins.eventually got her running.Went to start her up in the morning and she wasn`t having any of it.Took plug out and was more oily than normal.
For peace of mind thought i`d better have a strip down,piston ring gap was too big(possible reason for not starting when hot).
Next mag flange out, all seemed ok,but noticed oil(not 2-stroke)in crank housing.
Crank out and more oil was found around drive side oil seal(also possible reason for not starting when hot).
New parts on way,i`ll only know if this helps once i`ve put it all back together.
Hope this helps you alittle bit,I`ll keep you posted as soon as i find out.
Cheers ove.
iLambretta
Xbox live gamer tag: Intimid8

I can totally vouch for this idea....I've been having the same problem with a Mugello 225 on a BGM/PWK 30m carb and this "drainage" hole and shutting off the fuel before you stop the engine to clear out the majority of what's in the float bowl makes a big improvement

sean brady scooters wrote:what you need is ,..........a small 1mm hole in lowest point of bellows/filter...........
to drain off excess fuel..............
eibargum
Main scooter: Vespa PX210 Polini

Id also check that the choke is turning off properly as somone suggested earlyer.
ove

Problem now cured. Drive seal changed -Piston rings also changed,so can`t say if it was 1 or the other or both!Now done 300miles with various stop times before starting up again 5mins-10mins-15mins ect and no problems,hope this is some use to you lockman 69.
cheers ove.
lockman69

Cheers ove................

Lockman69
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information