Thin ring/quality piston options for standard GP/200dl?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
vegansydney

What are my options for a quality 66.0mm piston with thin rings? Its for a standard GP/200dl so a MBD RaceTour is probably overkill. Looking for something with a full skirt (71mm).
Muttlyoo7
Main scooter: Gp200

vegansydney wrote:What are my options for a quality 66.0mm piston with thin rings? Its for a standard GP/200dl so a MBD RaceTour is probably overkill. Looking for something with a full skirt (71mm).
Asso pistons are good and don't break the bank. AF use them in a lot of thier kits.
mickdale

Muttlyoo7 wrote:
vegansydney wrote:What are my options for a quality 66.0mm piston with thin rings? Its for a standard GP/200dl so a MBD RaceTour is probably overkill. Looking for something with a full skirt (71mm).
Asso pistons are good and don't break the bank. AF use them in a lot of thier kits.
arent the inlets cut though?
Muttlyoo7
Main scooter: Gp200

mickdale wrote:
Muttlyoo7 wrote:
arent the inlets cut though?
The pistons for piston ported barrels such as the standard iron SIL or the Rapido series aren't cut. However you can have the inlet skirt raised a few mm on request.
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

Does it have to be a thin ring?
vegansydney

soosh wrote:Does it have to be a thin ring?
Preferably, but I will consider other quality options. What do you have in mind? Thanks.
soosh

I've been using a Mahle which was recommended by the person who did my barrel.I run it on the two top rings only.My piston had been modified/cleaned up but yours is std spec anyway so will be fine.My 1st piston covered approx 8k before I replaced as I stripped the motor.It's still a good spare.
goldeneye

same. running a Mahle piston with just the top 2 rings in my cleaned up indian 200 barrel. no problems, runs a 30mm carb and clubman exhaust.
mickdale

soosh wrote:I've been using a Mahle which was recommended by the person who did my barrel.I run it on the two top rings only.My piston had been modified/cleaned up but yours is std spec anyway so will be fine.My 1st piston covered approx 8k before I replaced as I stripped the motor.It's still a good spare.
thanks for the info soosh - 8k cant be bad and they are only 30 quid or so from scooter restorations :-)
soosh

I'll dig out the clearance that was recommend as there are different grades of piston,I'm sure there was a + size on the std 66mm piston.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information