Noise from the barrel area/ new build

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
eibarlad

73 Spanish 200
ratty
Main scooter: LI ser3 125 {TS1 230} 1963

Hi, have just had exactly the same thing happen on my new build, 20 mins with the wet and dry on a flat surface with the piston sorted it..
how much!!!
cezeta

ive had the same too, i use 110 rods now so illuminates it
eibarlad

Took 0.5mm off the skirt & the piston is clear.
Barrel/piston is now proved to be not the problem. Gear box/clutch has been checked for peace of mind really because the noise is certainly the top end. Just built it up & started it........same noise.
The only thing it can be is the crank or mag bearing but these are new. The noise has been audible since the first start up so the most likely answer now seems to be the big end was damaged right away with the piston skirt kissing the casing.
Any thoughts anybody ?
Solerunner1
Main scooter: GP 190

And there's no other marks or scratches on anything inside?

I have the same symptom(of course, not necessarily the same problem) on a 165 i just made. Fitted to the bike 2 days ago. My squish is a bit tight, but within range. I plan on just screaming the hell out it til it blows up. I'll let you know what it was when it fails ;)

Just a thought.....you said the piston is 67mm? Did you open up the head gasket from 66mm? Maybe the piston is tapping the ridge of the gasket?
joespeed

8 thou clearance thats big big! why this large clearance?
one mans rattle can be another mans knock ,i see you are from carlisle is there no one (expert) you can take it to for a 'listen' and get a second opinion?
nelson pk

8 thou? are you sure...thats going to rattle big time. If you are sure of the piston to bore clearance measurement, thats your rattle right there.
Most piston slap can be heard at tickover.....if it disappears with higher revs its generally ok....if it doesn't , fix it.
eibarlad

Right from the off I changed the barrel & piston to take it out the equation.
Going to double check squish,timing & the fuel.
Next step is crank out & another one tried.
Special X
Main scooter: Lambretta 125 special 230cc

I think when you take the crank out you may find some shiney bits where the big end has been catching the crankcase. I had to take a fair bit off the crankcase to get enough clearance on my MECEUR 60mm crank.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information