back wheel wobble

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
ratty
Main scooter: LI ser3 125 {TS1 230} 1963

hi, any ideas what might cause my back wheel to wobble, with the wheel off the ground there is side to side movement,all gears select ok and no noise from the bearings, have put a new hub and matched cone on but its no different. Could it be the hub bearing or end plate loose. cheers.
how much!!!
soulsurfer

Are you saying its loose or that your wheel wobbles? If the latter, have you tried a different wheel?
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
burridge01

ratty wrote:hi, any ideas what might cause my back wheel to wobble, with the wheel off the ground there is side to side movement,all gears select ok and no noise from the bearings, have put a new hub and matched cone on but its no different. Could it be the hub bearing or end plate loose. cheers.
Oi! Ratty,you torquin it up right,get 1 ov the bigger boys(not me :oops: ) to lean on the bar for ya :lol: :lol:
Brighton F.C-LOL
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Loose endplate is the normal reason, which would need sorting before it ruins the threads in the casing.

Adam
ratty

its the lay shaft that moves as well with the hub on, but cant get it to move with the hub off! hey burridge it was one of the bigger boys that did it up in the first place. lol
how much!!!
cit205

This happened to me last year, went through all that new hub etc, turned out to be the case hardening on the bearing race (endplate end) of the layshaft had worn. When you've got the side casing off you'll have to to remove the endplate (if it wasn't just that which was loose) ,if the shiny case hardening isn't shiny anymore or has substantial pitting then that will transfer to hub play and the layshaft needs replacing.

The reason you can feel it more with the hub on than trying to wobble the shaft without is leverage; like trying to turn your front wheel without the headset on and just holding the top of the column,much harder.

I bought a new indian one which went back because it was machined incorrectly and locked my 'box up when i tightened the endplate back on, and ended up picking up a decent innocenti one on epay for about 20 quid . Picked up a decent spare indian one since at wicksteed for a tenner.

the shiny race you see when you pull this needle roller bearing off is what i mean,if it doesnt look like chrome its not getting you home :P

Last edited by cit205 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Supereibar

I would consider that it could be any of the following:

1-Endplate problem, maybe ommited or broken needle bearing.. Thus why it is playing up and down. It is worth investigating.
2-It also could be that the hub was fitted wrongly and tightened over the layshaft splines directly. The teeth or splines in the layshaft are harder metal than the hub's splines.

J.
ratty

cit205, thanks mate some usefull info there, will be back in the shed tonight!
how much!!!
ratty

found the problem, end plate was loose,its pulled every stud out and chewed all the nuts up, can this be repaired properly or should i be looking for a new engine,
how much!!!
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

It can be repaired and is definitely now an economical option, given the way the price of casings is going. Small block casings are still relatively affordable but large blocks are getting pricey.

There's a couple of options from inserts to welding and machining.

How badly damaged are the threads in the casing?

Is the facing where the endplate sits damaged?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information