SIP Lambretta Digital Speedo

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Speed Demon
Dealer

To be fair, I have one mate who has his working perfectly first time and using the standard cable drive so I know it can be done.

I'm in the process of setting one up with magnetic pick-up and have my fingers crossed. I've tested the speedo function on the bench from a DC supply and it works, but won't know about the RPM readings until there's a motor in it.

I suspect some of the problems stem from the fact that the instructions are as clear as mud.
Get to SULK
rbgaz
Main scooter: gp rb230 dragster 180lc

i thought they didnt come with the magnet pick up opt yet?
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

Speed Demon wrote:To be fair, I have one mate who has his working perfectly first time and using the standard cable drive so I know it can be done.

I'm in the process of setting one up with magnetic pick-up and have my fingers crossed. I've tested the speedo function on the bench from a DC supply and it works, but won't know about the RPM readings until there's a motor in it.

I suspect some of the problems stem from the fact that the instructions are as clear as mud.
Good to hear things can go smoothly!

What headset has your mate got his mounted in (and what are you mounting in)? I have a series 3 SX style headset so that's what I am interested in seeing any "fit" problems for.
Also any info on the magnetic pickup (eg part numbers, source, cost etc) would be useful (especially if it works in the scoot!). Did you decide to go for the magnetic pickup rather than the normal cable drive for any particular reason?
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

I was wondering if some of the fit issues with speedo cable position might have been related to the positioning difference between a GP and LI style headset?

Speedo sits 'down' in the LI / SX style but 'up' on the GP???
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Stampede
Main scooter: SX200

I also had no problems fitting the speedo, works well with the original cable.

You have to pay attention to those "power thieves", the have to be proper connected and you need a good ground.
fsmlittler

Just fitted a resistor plug and now everything works fine. If only SIP mentioned thus it would save a whole heap of hassle. I only found out by trial and error and checking on line installation guides for other Koso instruments. Without the resistor plug you either have to disconnect the temp sender or the display will freeze and you'll get the tachometer needle crawling up to 12000.

Now that's sorted it's a really great product!
sideout
Main scooter: SX150/GP Muggy/LiS3 Avanti TT3

Minority wrote:The SIP speedo was high on my christmas list, but there seem to be too many problems. Possibly the most annoying one, and one that you can't really get around, is that they have put the speedo drive in the wrong place! Its not like they didn't have a pattern to copy.
I guess one solution may be to forget about the speedo cable completly (if it fits without the cable connected) and use the Koso sensor http://www.kosoeurope.com/accessories/s ... -connector to drive it with an electronic pulse. Oh and it would seem that they only really work if you have a stable (read battery) DC supply for your 12v supply but still have a 12v AC supply to pick up the signal for the revcounter.
Wonder when the "mark 2" is due for release? :roll:
Couldn't agree more. I e-mailed SIP and said I had a full DC conversion and they replied connect the rev counter brown to AC. :roll:
I really wish they would just produce the Speedo part with out the tacho and heat sensor. The analogue tacho display is where the speedo should be and the heat sensor is only the inferior (IMHO) CHT type.
Having said that the speedo is excellent and it's refreshing to know what speed you're going without having to have the GPS fitted :)
Annoying thing is, the rev counter works when you disconnect the battery. No matter how much I sod about with diodes and capacitors I can't seem to stop the battery from smoothing the AC ripple from the Wassell.
I've translated the German forum (whose contributers seem equally impressed) but the only thing that made any sense was the pictures :lol: :lol: :lol:
I KNOW there are electronics boffins out there who will know how to solve the Wassell/SIP incompatibility, but they're just being shy ;)
I've not given up yet......
sideout
Main scooter: SX150/GP Muggy/LiS3 Avanti TT3

fsmlittler wrote:Just fitted a resistor plug and now everything works fine. If only SIP mentioned thus it would save a whole heap of hassle. I only found out by trial and error and checking on line installation guides for other Koso instruments. Without the resistor plug you either have to disconnect the temp sender or the display will freeze and you'll get the tachometer needle crawling up to 12000.

Now that's sorted it's a really great product!
Great news matey!! I'll order one tonight! Thanks for posting! :fb:
giankx

Some mates down there had great results using resistor plug and 5 ohm resistor spark plug cap.
jonashford
Main scooter: Lambretta SX RB235

Vapor all the way! Ugly as hell but works first time every time
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information