SIP Lambretta Digital Speedo

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

Too bad the temp sensor can't handle a egt since that's more important than CHT maybe V3. :) Still would buy another one with out question.
vader
Main scooter: '80 P210

Hey guys.. It's no doubt been mentioned in one of the 20+ pages of this thread.. but I was having the same problem with my Lambretta SIP speedo as several others.. it would just seize up.. or not work at all.. I tried 2 speedos, 2 black boxes, 2 different regulators and the simplest wiring possible.. but no luck.

It turns out it IS the plug.. it has to be a proper resistor plug.. ie: NGK, BR9ES.. I thought that just by leaving the resistor cap on a regular B9ES it made it a resistor plug! My bad! I swapped out the B9ES with a BR9ES and boom! everything works as it should.. perfectly.. no need for the BGM regulator or any special pieces..

My bike is non battery.. so it's just Brown/Red (from the speedo) wired together to my AC power from the stator and Black (from the same speedo connector) to a solid ground.. Done!

Sorry if this has been hashed over.. but after trying everything under the sun.. it simply boils down to using a resistor plug.. not just a plug with the resistor cap left on.. BR9ES, BR8ES etc..

Thanks for all the input here too..

... and just for extra info.. I'm using the BGM ignition with the simple MB harness.. no battery.. and this 120w regulator.. wired as I wrote above:

http://jet200.com/catalog/product_info. ... cts_id=158

From speedo (brown/red tied together and connected to brown (from the harness / stator) and black from the same connector as the brown/red to a solid ground.. that's it. ;)

I
Shipleystevep
Main scooter: Lambretta

Hi chaps, at the risk of extending this thread as nauseum. Is there any advantage then of using a battery to power the speedo? I only ask coz it would be easy for me to run a line from the battery that powers my spots. Or should I just take the power and rev feed from the circuit ? Thanks steve
Nerdy Norm
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 S3

The only advantage I found was that wiring to the battery meant that I could do the fairly lengthy setup procedure in my garage without fear of CO poisoning. Bear in mind that the battery feed must be switched, otherwise the speedo will be permanently illuminated.
Lambretta LI125 Series 2, Lambretta LI150 Series 3, Lambretta J100 Cento, LML Star 150 2T
sideout
Main scooter: SX150/GP Muggy/LiS3 Avanti TT3

Shipleystevep wrote:Hi chaps, at the risk of extending this thread as nauseum. Is there any advantage then of using a battery to power the speedo? I only ask coz it would be easy for me to run a line from the battery that powers my spots. Or should I just take the power and rev feed from the circuit ? Thanks steve
Hi Steve,
I have 3 now, 2 on Wassel DC conversions with a battery, one without. As Norm says, using a battery allows setting up without the engine running.
However, the other advantages are:
If you don't have a battery in the circuit and you're stopped a junction and don't get much output from your 12V feed then they can go through their start-up sequence. No big deal as they remember the settings, but obviously, with a battery you don't get this.
I also like to have a battery because if you want to take some readings off it after a trip, distance, time, average speed etc., it's much better to do it without the engine running.

Oh, and keep the thread going :) I must summarise all the points and submit them for a FAQ at some point :)

Cheers,

Nigel
Andy W
Main scooter: GP 186 Imola

Nigel,
I have a wassel conversion and battery, I am about to fit a sip speedo. Where do you take rev pick up from when using battery? I wa planning on fitting the power box at back of scooter near to battery and stator. Any pointers greatly received, I gave resistor plug already. Andy
Nerdy Norm
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 S3

Check the previous page Andy ...
Lambretta LI125 Series 2, Lambretta LI150 Series 3, Lambretta J100 Cento, LML Star 150 2T
Andy W
Main scooter: GP 186 Imola

Cheers must have missed that one.
jock11
Main scooter: lml 150 5 port

Hello All,
Mate of mine has a lammy gp (no battery) and bought a sip digital speedo, and we have spent all weekend trying to install it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Has anyone got photos on how they wired into the headset, we have tried everything but cant get it to power on at all!
Its all connected up by the book, with a resistor plug, scoot starts with lights/horn no power to the speedo. tried a multimeter set on ac
to the brown wires in the headset which ive read everywhere should be main live got nothing. Multimeter on green wires show a reading which i think is ignition
Its all earthed ok, red/brown wires from powerbox joined and tapped into brown on headset - still nothing, dont know if im being stupid here but after
a whole weekend trying to get it to work am stumped
any help would be appreciated
cheers
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information