SIP Lambretta Digital Speedo

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
sideout
Main scooter: SX150/GP Muggy/LiS3 Avanti TT3

coaster wrote:I had another thought about that, have you tried tapping into the feed from the pickup? probably won't work but might be worth a try?
Yeah, I thought about that as well, but first I want to put a 'scope on it to check the levels. I've got previous when it comes to frying lammy tachos :oops:
Thanks for you input Colin, I'll investigate!

Nigel
coaster

Ok, theory time again, there will be a magnetic field around the AC wires from the stator but the voltage it too high. if one of the wires was routed through a bobbin, a cooresponding AC current could be induced into turns of wire wound round the bobbin. Playing with the number of turns would adjust the voltage......just another tought, time for another beer :fb:
CANbus

Sideout and Coaster... have you tried running the speedo direct from the stator supply in order to see if the rev counter works????
11111111 = 0xFF
coaster

CANbus wrote:Sideout and Coaster... have you tried running the speedo direct from the stator supply in order to see if the rev counter works????
I don't actually have one, I'm just an interested bystander. The issue of taking the supply directly from the stator has already been mentioned but as it can exceed 30 volts no one is willing to try it. Hence me lobbing in some thoughts that MIGHT provide a fix with some developement.
sideout

CANbus wrote:Sideout and Coaster... have you tried running the speedo direct from the stator supply in order to see if the rev counter works????
What coaster said. ;)
However, I have temporarily disconnected the battery and it works fine. :)
CANbus

sideout wrote:
What coaster said. ;)
However, I have temporarily disconnected the battery and it works fine. :)
As I suspected really, I have one on order and will have no problem hooking it up to the stator directly.
I may add a fuse however. The solid state needs to see a negative reference (NPN) or the same low voltage as the DSP in order for the count of the frequency (have you tried a different ground location?) to take place. I use all sorts of frequency counters on a daily basis in conjunction with PLC’s and DSP’s. I’ll try mine when it arrives.
11111111 = 0xFF
sideout

CANbus wrote:As I suspected really, I have one on order and will have no problem hooking it up to the stator directly.
I may add a fuse however. The solid state needs to see a negative reference (NPN) or the same low voltage as the DSP in order for the count of the frequency (have you tried a different ground location?) to take place. I use all sorts of frequency counters on a daily basis in conjunction with PLC’s and DSP’s. I’ll try mine when it arrives.
Good luck! Please let us know how you get on :)

-update from SIP forum (not before time either!) :roll:
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/communit ... ageIndex=2
"Hi everyone and sorry for the late reply. We are already working on solutions. I am getting back to you, as soon as I have some watertight info that I can post here.
some points i can clarify right now:
* we know that there is a problem with the accuracy of fit, where the speedo is supposed to meet the cable. while this does not cause any problems with the majority of models, it might be problematic with some. we are already working on an improved version (with central connection piece and thin sealing rubber).
* if you have problems with fitting the temperature sensor, you can also drill a thread right into the cylinder head and attach the sensor there
* make sure to use interference-supressing spark plugs. others can lead to malfunction of the speedo."
sideout

I see Sticky has done a review in the latest issue of Scootering (No313). The problem with the Rev Counter on Wassell DC systems is recognised, but unfortunately no solution as yet, apart from some strange reference to "...members of the 1980s hip-hop community are busy with the soldering irons...." which I have to admit was lost on me. lol :)
Speed Demon
Dealer

sideout wrote:I see Sticky has done a review in the latest issue of Scootering (No313). The problem with the Rev Counter on Wassell DC systems is recognised, but unfortunately no solution as yet, apart from some strange reference to "...members of the 1980s hip-hop community are busy with the soldering irons...." which I have to admit was lost on me. lol :)
Flavor Flav told me to say it :D
Get to SULK
clubbook

Just had mine fitted fitted by a mate(Wack63) and everything spot on! Fit, temp, revs, and speed. and thats with a standard cable at the moment. As good as your gonna get in my opinion!!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information