SIP Lambretta Digital Speedo

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Bilko
Main scooter: LI150

jonashford wrote:Vapor all the way! Ugly as hell but works first time every time
I wish. The speedo on my vapor has stopped working :cry:

Just to add. I thought the SIP Speedo was going to be the replacement for my Vapor. Now I don't know what to do. Not in a position to spend big bucks on the US one.
Bilko's Oily Blog

Directionally dysfunctional since 1966
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

rbgaz wrote:i thought they didnt come with the magnet pick up opt yet?
I think this is the SIP part number for the magnetic sensor, you would have to confirm with SIP.

http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/produ ... kobf640j05
sideout
Main scooter: SX150/GP Muggy/LiS3 Avanti TT3

Bit of an update. Tried a couple more things as its stopped raining for an hour or so. :)
Wrapped 10 turns around the HT lead to see if the rev counter would detect an induced pulse, as suggested via a PM I received. But no joy.
Tried a BR8ES resistor plug, no difference.
I don't reckon there's any point in trying to use the AC input into the Wassell unit because that would effectively earth the AC feed, which defeats the whole point of modifying the stator to provide full-wave rectification.

So in summary, this appears to be where we are with the SIP speedo:
-Fits in a GP heatset, but not so well in an Li/SX
-Speedo function works excellently with a full Wassell DC conversion and battery, but not the rev counter
-Reports that the speedo works on AC system and so does the rev counter if you fit a resistor plug
-The temperature sensor won't fit under the plug, but you can drill a hole in the head fins

Anyone got anything to add?
Last edited by sideout on Fri May 11, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonashford
Main scooter: Lambretta SX RB235

sideout wrote:Bit of an update. Tried a couple more things as its stopped raining for an hour or so. :)
Wrapped 10 turns around the HT lead to see if the rev counter would detect an induced pulse, as suggested via a PM I received. But no joy.
Tried a BR8ES resistor plug, no difference.
I don't reckon there's any point in trying to use the AC input into the Wassell unit because that would effectively earth the AC feed, which defeats the whole point of modifying the stator to provide full-wave rectification.
So in summary, this appears to be where we are with the SIP speedo:
-Fits in a GP heatset, but not so well in an Li/SX
-Speedo function works excellently with a full Wassell DC conversion and battery
-Reports that the speedo works on AC system and so does the rev counter if you fit a resistor plug
-The temperature sensor won't fit under the plug, but you can drill a hole in the head fins

Anyone got anything to add?
It's s**t!
sideout
Main scooter: SX150/GP Muggy/LiS3 Avanti TT3

jonashford wrote: It's s**t!
:D :D :D
As a speedo, I don't find it s**t. As a Rev counter with a DC system it just doesn't work (it's s**t).
:roll:
fsmlittler

When I first fitted mine on my GP I thought it was rubbish as the temp sensor wouldn't fit and once I dremelled a fin to make it fit the whole display started freezing and generally behaving strangely. SIP didn't seem to have any interest and the product seemed rubbish.......

But once I'd worked out a resistor plug was needed (extensive research eventually found this advice in a KOSO instruction book) it all started working. I've now fitted a magnet and pick up and have a speedo that perfectly matches GPS at all speeds. The rev counter is great and I really wouldn't want to be without it, the cylinder head temp display is really interesting and will be useful whilst the whole thing retains the general appearance of a standard speedo.

I am really pleased with it and have no regrets now but would urge SIP to produce a decent set of instructions.
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

fsmlittler wrote:When I first fitted mine on my GP I thought it was rubbish as the temp sensor wouldn't fit and once I dremelled a fin to make it fit the whole display started freezing and generally behaving strangely. SIP didn't seem to have any interest and the product seemed rubbish.......

But once I'd worked out a resistor plug was needed (extensive research eventually found this advice in a KOSO instruction book) it all started working. I've now fitted a magnet and pick up and have a speedo that perfectly matches GPS at all speeds. The rev counter is great and I really wouldn't want to be without it, the cylinder head temp display is really interesting and will be useful whilst the whole thing retains the general appearance of a standard speedo.

I am really pleased with it and have no regrets now but would urge SIP to produce a decent set of instructions.
Glad to here some positive results! How did you mount the pickup? Pics would be great ;)
clubbook

Could anyone tell me which resistor plug they are using please to overcome some of these problems.

Thanks
CANbus

Summing up then, and for the people who purchased this SIP speedo.
Has it been a good investment…… Yes or No??????
11111111 = 0xFF
pasner

yes
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information