no idle +spitback

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
handofdave
Main scooter: li ts1

got no idle and lots of spitback on a tuned 185 ,phbh 28mm and whatever pilot jet i use it is a pig to start and will not idle,clears and revs fine from 1/4 throttle ,tried a whole range of jets from 45 to 60 still no joy,timing 18degs at mo running a sterling,timings 155/125/180 any suggestions please
Diablo
Dealer

Whats your atomisor?
handofdave

av264 2nd clip
Solerunner1
Main scooter: GP 190

Is it brand new? Or has it covered many miles? Those symptoms show up sometimes if you have an air leak somewhere. Or worn rings/stuck rings/scored rings. Bad bore. If it's brand new, is it one of those cheap aluminum kits? It could also just be a carb issue, but i always fall for that first when i have a ring/compression issue. Four carbs later and countless jets, needles, etc, i eventually find my problem in the top end somewhere.
Solerunner1
Main scooter: GP 190

timings 155/125/180= exhaust/transfer/intake, yeah? 180 is quite large if it's piston ported. That would equal a lot of blowback
handofdave

inlet/transfer/exhaust, it is a new set up with a carb ive used before
nelson pk

As diablo is pointing to, the size of the atomiser and straight diameter of the needle comes into play at small throttle openings but AV264 isn't a very rich atomiser in my opinion and i dont have experience on 185 kits.
However, you will still get a fair amount of spit back at low revs with 155 inlet even when its jetted right. if its definitely running rich ie 4 stroking and lots of smoke you could try a weaker slide if idle jets are not curing the issue, but if you try a weaker slide you will probably have to richen up your needle as it will cause leaner running up to half throttle.
nelson pk

Just though of a very common problem,. Are you using a cable choke? It is very common for the choke to be stuck on if your choke cable is too tight.
Make sure you have 1-2 mm play in the cable.
You can see if its sticking on by looking in the left hand side of the carb belmouth and you will se a big hole with a brass plunger in it. Turn your choke lever on and off and you will see the plunger move up and down.
When the choke lever is in the off position the plunger must sit all the way down and cover the hole completely. If it is just open a fraction it will give you the symptoms you describe.
handofdave

choke seats fine ,just considering whether raising the cut away on the slide will help currently has a 40 slide
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Tulisa is on X-Factor, not Idol!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information